Best raw foods for an ill cat????

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is ill (see thread in health). He has been eating a raw diet for over two years. He managed to eat a full portion of turkey around 16 hours ago but nothing since.

He has refused duck which he normally likes. I have got more turkey out, as well as venison which is always a big favourite . His absolute favourite however are kidneys. Do you think that they will be too rich for him while he is ill?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any chance the turkey has turned bad?  Ritz is not a picky eater--she'll eat anything.  But I have learned to respect her nose when she walks away from food.  Chicken for example can turn from good to bad within minutes.

Kidney is probably too rich for him.  Try something smelly, like fish (sardine?), just a little bit, to get him interested.  Or, use the kidney as a topper.  Good luck and keep us posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can get hold on goat milk, it is nourishing...    You can also easily forcefeed with it, if he doesnt manage to eat himself.

You can always add some fat by having some smelt butter.

Or, if  salomonella in eggs is no problem at your place, raw egg yolk into this goat milk.  Or toghether with minced milk [meat].

If you dont have access to goat milk, you can use plain youghurt...

None if the above enough instead of good solid foods, but  is good as "a now and then" alternative.

Good luck!

edit. A couple of typos.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies!

It seems that he probably has feline herpes and is having a bad flare up. From my research as well as feeling very ill, their sense of smell becomes impaired . Perhaps the turkey was just not tempting enough smell wise last night. The venison was though! It's the only meat I really don't like cutting up as it smells so strong. He ate a full 2.5oz portion at around midnight . At 9.30 this morning he had a small amount of his Bozita wet food but has not wanted anything since.

In only two days he has lost weight but I suppose at least he is eating something. I will remember about the goats milk for if he gets ill again. He is a little hit and miss with egg yolks and sardines - he will either eat the lot or more often than not sniff and walk away....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he has a flare again, and it affects his sense of smell, use the kidney as a topper! That should do the trick. :)

Glad he's eating and feeling better!