Best quality commercial raw, in need of suggestions/knowledge!

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again...SO MANY QUESTIONS.............

I know I mentioned not too long ago that I am not yet ready to transition kitty onto raw. I'm ok with the canned/wet for now. With that being said, I figured it doesn't hurt to learn more. I would have no idea where to start on making my own balanced raw diet. And I don't have a meat grinder, nor do I intend to get one. I live in a small condo and space is already a struggle.

So, can I get some recommendations on the top commercial prepared raw out on the market right now? We have some Canadian brands on the market too, but they are probably not as widely known.

There is also the option of feeding a cooked diet with the pre-made mixture to create a balanced home meal. Like EZ Complete. How does this compare to feeding a commercial raw? Or, even good quality canned for that matter?

The last question I have (for now!), and again I'm sorry....I always have SO MANY....

My kitten has gained some weight. He's still growing. He was 6.5 lbs a few weeks ago, now 7.5 lbs (I will have to re-weigh to make sure, as I used a regular scale, stepped on it to check mine, then re-weighed with him in my arms). He still looks slim and trim, and is quite active. I can feel his ribs when I stroke my fingers down his side, although not overly pronounced, but I can feel them. He doesn't look chunky to me at all.....in fact, he looked a little too skinny for me until recently when he's put on a little more weight.

He will be exactly 7 months on February 5th. When he saw my vet for his neuter over a month ago, he said to stop free feeding because he noticed a bit of belly skin showing, and that indoor cats tend to become obese quickly.

So after that, I just kept feeding 1 can per day...mostly the Nature's Instinct canned (rotating proteins), which say feed one can per 6-8 lbs of body weight. I found he was and is always wanting more and begging for food. He's like an endless pit. A poster on here suggested he is still much too young to restrict food and he should be eating as much as he wants per feeding.

I don't know what to do. I'm torn. I've started feeding him 1.5 to 1.75 of a can. He eats everything up and licks the bowl clean. Its so much easier with kibble it seems....but I'm not going that route...

Any suggestions? Comments?

Thanks for everyone's patience...

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we fed what the can states to feed our cats would be skeletons. They are very active and are not overweight. We probably feed double the suggested amount for our kitten, depending on the brand. 

The members who have the most knowledge regarding nutrition will be able to help you.

Your fella is a little cutie!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If we fed what the can states to feed our cats would be skeletons. They are very active and are not overweight. We probably feed double the suggested amount for our kitten, depending on the brand. 

The members who have the most knowledge regarding nutrition will be able to help you.

Your fella is a little cutie!
I think that's the worst part. I wish they were a little more accurate. But, I guess it really depends on each individual cat. I've always found it so much easier with dogs. I would be terrified to have him overweight....its so much more difficult for a cat to lose weight than put it on. But I don't want him to not have enough nutrition and deprive him at the same time.

Aw hell....lol

And thank you. He's quite a little love bug. The biggest cuddler in the world, I'm quite convinced! :) Love him to pieces.