Best Pet Insurance

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Here I am... starting another thread, concerned about my kitty.

I have been looking into pet insurance and I can't decide what would be the best and if pet insurance actually help or are just a waste of money. I'm torn between Healthy Paws, Embrace, Pets Best, Pet Plan and Nationwide.. Based on your experience would you kindly make some suggestions?

I was also wondering how does the deductible, wellness and pre-existing conditions work. My kitty has had a corneal ulcer, a UTI and a possible blockage so far. Would this be considered pre-existing conditions - these are incidents and injuries though, aren't they? What are our chances of getting approved for a reasonable insurance premium that covers vet visits and exams as well. How do the insurance companies determime kitty's medical history? Does my vet have to provide them? What happens when you change your vet? How far does the medical history has to cover? I heard Nationwide rejects claims saying they were pre-existing conditions even if they were not while Healthy Paws is "rated #1" in 2017... I'm kind of lost and confused.

Thank you all, I truly appreciate it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My understanding is that they'd all be considered pre existing conditions, unfortunately :( Injury covers things like falls, broken bones etc. Urinary issues and corneal ulcers can recur, or leave kitty with an increased susceptibility to them. I'm not saying for certain, but it's the strong likelihood.

As far as insurers go, I have always used Pet Plan, and I love them.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Healthy Paws for one of my dogs. I haven't had to file a claim yet. You do need to send all previous vet records for your pet; you can take pictures and email them, mail copies, have your vet fax or scan/email them, etc.

Most pet insurance policies don't cover routine vet visits and exams. If you get the premium plan it may cover those, but the increase in premium will be significant, to the extent that it would likely be less expensive for you to pay for the exams yourself.

Whether insurance is "worth it" or not is highly situational. Only you can dicide if it's right for you.

Go ahead and call the companies on the phone if yiu have any questions. They're very nice and will help you with whatever you need.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet Insurance University - A Vet's Guide to Pet Insurance
On this website you can compare all of the insurance companies and their policies. It is very helpful. I had Trupanion, but cancelled it. Deductibles can work per year or per condition. With Trupanion they were applied per condition. I had a $700 deductible and my premium was $35/month. You have to meet the deductible before anything is covered. I think it makes more sense to be applied per condition, but I just thought $700 was too high and I couldn't afford to increase my premium to lower my deductible. If it's applied per year, and say you have a $300 or $500 deductible, you have to have reached that much in claims before they will start covering any of your bills.

Usually only a percentage is covered- anywhere from 70%-90% depending on the plan. Pre-existing conditions are never covered. Some plans have a yearly or lifetime cap on how much they will cover, like $5,000 $10,000, etc. Trupanion was unlimited with no cap.

I just didn't think it was worth it. I didn't think I would ever meet my deductibles in order to actually get things paid for. You never know when they will try to deny you for stupid reasons claiming something is pre-existing, and you never know when they will raise your premiums after you make a claim or when your pet ages.

I got a credit card for emergencies, and I have a separate savings account for their medical bills. I put in what I would have paid for my premium.

I really like that website though. It lays everything out for you so you can compare everything about the companies, their rates, what they cover, what things are excluded, when your premium will increase, etc.

Also on the website they give you a list of helpful questions to ask insurance companies when you call them. I highly suggest taking a look at that list and calling them before you decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told Pet Plan is pretty good and they wouldn't consider a blockage or anything that has been cured a pre-existing condition. Is that correct?

Thank you guys.

Meganm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my biggest stress about rescuing two semi feral cats are the vet bills. Is pet insurance a good deal? Does it really cover blood tests, office visits and medication? Again, this is another expense but when I think one of the cats may be sick, it then scares me about the vet bills.

I visited Best Pet Insurance 2018 - Compare Online for insurance companies but Do you have insurance through who? What do you think or have heard?

thank you,

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Consumer reports did an excellent article on this Is Pet Insurance Worth the Cost?

It depends on what issues your pet has and the cost benefit ratio.
I have spent $3600 (so far?) on my precious 11.5 year old Puma and wondered if insurance would have made it easier.
If I spent money all these years on insurance to only have them partial pay some things and not the emergency transfer fee etc, I would have spent more in total.

If you have xpendable cash or can get it through your workplace, do it. Otherwise maybe put aside money every month for pet emergency, is my suggestion.