Best Pain Medication?

kh2b1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want to say too much about this particular issue because I worry that someone from the vet clinic might be reading these forums. I get the feeling that this problem isn't very common so they could easily identify me if I posted exactly what's going on.

My cat, Shorty, had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and has a complication that is causing restlessness. He appears to either be in pain or serious discomfort, or possibly both. He was on Buprenex (0.25 ml twice daily) for the first few days and he mostly slept and behaved himself. Ever since he went off the pain meds, he seems to be very restless and uncomfortable. I'm not sure he's sleeping and he keeps bothering the incision area. He's going to the vet clinic tomorrow for observation (he's already been four time since the surgery).

I plan on discussing pain management with the vet, but want to get some info first. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a safe pain medicine that might help Shorty settle down and get some sleep. Ideally, I'd like something that might make him drowsy so he won't bother the incision area. The Buprenex worked beautifully. Originally, he was prescribed Gabapentin, but I refused it because I felt Buprenex would provide better pain relief right after surgery. Something that is reasonably priced would be good too. I think I got six syringes with 0.25 ml of Buprenex for around $26.

It's unclear how long Shorty will have to deal with this unfortunate complication. The vet says it would be extremely helpful to have the results of the biopsy so he can know what the best course of treatment is regarding this complication. He's doing what he can, but he says there's a lot of time and waiting involved.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you're looking for suggestions of pain medications OTHER THAN Buprenex or Gabapentin? Is there some reason you don't want to continue with the Buprenex, since it "worked beautifully"?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
There really isn't anything better than bupre for pain management. Gaba is ok but not anywhere's near as well as bupre. Gaba is used for nerve pain more than post surgery pain. But that's just my opinion with this medication.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
another thing that can help is prednisolone but there can be complications with steroids. For short term-a week- or less- is ok to use. It may cause excitability and increase appetite/urination. Often used to control inflammation. It's also used on certain tumors. The reason the med can't be started until after the biopsy is it can affect the results of the test. Maybe ask about pred for the future. you can always ask for a low dose like 2.5mg a day or less. I use gelcaps and butter to administer as it's VERY bitter. Don't mix in food.

The beauty of bupre is it's much easier to give a tiny liquid than a pill. I don't know if this info helps at all.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know whatever you choose stay away from metacam. Metacam is known to cause acute kidney disease in cats.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My preferred pain med is Buprenex. One of my cats was on Onisor last year and had no problems, but I understand the concerns. I have Metacam on my "never give" list at the vet for all my kitties.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine is really the best. I'm assuming that buprinex is a brand name for buprenorphine.