Best Option While Travelling

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I have exams in another city and so have to travel there for 2 weeks.
I have a ~6 month old kitten (Mickey), who is sort of shy of new people. She was a stray who came into my home one fine night. She hides anytime anyone comes home and doesn't leave the house like EVER. (You literally can't drag her out, lol)

So, my question is
1. Leave her at home - the neighbours will feed her twice and my aunt (she is used to playing with her) will come once a day to check on her. The neighbours have a kitten Mickey is friends with, but never goes to their house.
2. Try to find a hostel for her, as she will have constant care.
3. Leave her at my Aunt's house

First time Cat mom here so I don't know what to do.
I'm afraid if I leave her at home and she climbs/falls or gets sick
while no one is there. :|

Please suggest what would be a better option.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would definitely leave her home. Cats do well with this and she will be fed and checked on very well. Cats get used to this and then when they're older they'll act like nothing even happened if they're used to the occasional weekend trip. Grey cat doesn't even react if I go to the beach for a weekend and leave him a mountain of food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have enough time before you leave, I would get the neighbors and your aunt to come over and make frequent visits until you go. Let them interact with her as they can, and even give her treats, feed her, and help with her litter box care. She needs to understand that they are your 'back-up'. If she is friends with the neighbor's cat, have them bring the cat along for visits (I don't know how they normally see each other, but if Mickey doesn't go to their house, the neighbor's cat must come to yours?).

Leave her lots of your worn, unwashed clothing around where she hangs out, so she has your scent nearby. You can also consider setting up a baby cam/video to be able to see what she is doing while no one is there, and perhaps have your neighbors/aunt accessible to it as well.

You can also consider placing a ticking clock near her before you leave, so she correlates it with you while you are gone. If she listens to the radio or TV, set them up on timers to come on at times of the day that she would normally hear them. You can also Skype with your neighbors and/or aunt so that she can at least hear your voice, if not see you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely leave her home. Cats do well with this and she will be fed and checked on very well. Cats get used to this and then when they're older they'll act like nothing even happened if they're used to the occasional weekend trip. Grey cat doesn't even react if I go to the beach for a weekend and leave him a mountain of food.
If you have enough time before you leave, I would get the neighbors and your aunt to come over and make frequent visits until you go. Let them interact with her as they can, and even give her treats, feed her, and help with her litter box care. She needs to understand that they are your 'back-up'. If she is friends with the neighbor's cat, have them bring the cat along for visits (I don't know how they normally see each other, but if Mickey doesn't go to their house, the neighbor's cat must come to yours?).

Leave her lots of your worn, unwashed clothing around where she hangs out, so she has your scent nearby. You can also consider setting up a baby cam/video to be able to see what she is doing while no one is there, and perhaps have your neighbors/aunt accessible to it as well.

You can also consider placing a ticking clock near her before you leave, so she correlates it with you while you are gone. If she listens to the radio or TV, set them up on timers to come on at times of the day that she would normally hear them. You can also Skype with your neighbors and/or aunt so that she can at least hear your voice, if not see you.

Sorry for late reply, but she hasn't been well and I've been going crazy. :(
Anyway long story short, what with her getting sick (Diarhhoe) I'm really worried to leave her home alone.
My Aunt wishes to take her home with her so, do you think she'll be able to adjust there for a while? She knows my Aunt, and I'll get them more familiar in the next few days.

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't suppose your aunt would be willing and able to stay at your house?
Unfortunately that won't be possible, she has her family too. But she has a large house and can confine her to a room on the upper floor if needed (so that Mickey doesn't have to deal with other people). Would that help?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you don't have much choice if you don't want to leave her alone. But, it could likely exacerbate Mickey's sickness, whatever that is from.

If you have to go this route, have your aunt over daily - or, as much as possible - to help care for Mickey before you leave, feeding/playing/etc. Then, take everything that belongs to Mickey with her to your aunt's - her normal food, food/water dishes, litterbox, litter, beddings, blankets, toys - and some of your worn unwashed clothes as well. Don't forget the Skype idea to communicate with your aunt - and hopefully Mickey too.

Confining her to a specific room is the best way to go, but be sure your aunt can spend a lot of time with her - especially early on. If Mickey is used to TV/music, have your aunt play that as much as needed.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your fur baby will be fine at your aunt's house especially if she has her own room. You seem worried about leaving her alone and that's the last thing you need ontop of exams. At least if she's with family you can call to check on her to put your mind at ease. By the way she's beautiful and good luck with the exams:goodluck:

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would leave her at home. As long as people come by and spend some time with your cat and feed him he should be ok.

If your cat like people a better choice would be to leave her at your aunt house, hopefully he won't escape he might be a little stressed while he adjusts. A room with litter box and food and water at your aunt house would be a great start.

I would not leave him at a cat hostel. Although at least in theory the cats is taken care of, in reality who knows what is really happening.

In addition to that you pay money to confine your cat to smaller place.

Let us know what you decide.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good that your aunt seems very much willing to care for your kitty while you are away. Since you are worried to leave her alone, the best option is just to have her stay at your aunt's place for a while, in a secured room where there is not much activity going on. That way she can also monitor your kitty and her diarrhea. You can ask your aunt to bring her over to the vet if it gets worse.

She will be fine. Let your aunt give you daily updates so you would stop worrying.

Goodluck on your exams.

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like you don't have much choice if you don't want to leave her alone. But, it could likely exacerbate Mickey's sickness, whatever that is from.

If you have to go this route, have your aunt over daily - or, as much as possible - to help care for Mickey before you leave, feeding/playing/etc. Then, take everything that belongs to Mickey with her to your aunt's - her normal food, food/water dishes, litterbox, litter, beddings, blankets, toys - and some of your worn unwashed clothes as well. Don't forget the Skype idea to communicate with your aunt - and hopefully Mickey too.

Confining her to a specific room is the best way to go, but be sure your aunt can spend a lot of time with her - especially early on. If Mickey is used to TV/music, have your aunt play that as much as needed.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to apply them as much as possible.
She is fine now btw, she just had diarrhoe due to excess acidity the vet said, had apparently munched on an insect whole (go figure) which she promptly vomited out.

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your fur baby will be fine at your aunt's house especially if she has her own room. You seem worried about leaving her alone and that's the last thing you need ontop of exams. At least if she's with family you can call to check on her to put your mind at ease. By the way she's beautiful and good luck with the exams:goodluck:

Thanks. :)

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is good that your aunt seems very much willing to care for your kitty while you are away. Since you are worried to leave her alone, the best option is just to have her stay at your aunt's place for a while, in a secured room where there is not much activity going on. That way she can also monitor your kitty and her diarrhea. You can ask your aunt to bring her over to the vet if it gets worse.

She will be fine. Let your aunt give you daily updates so you would stop worrying.

Goodluck on your exams.
Thanks. And she is doing fine now. :)

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad your kitty is feeling better :) Generally, it stresses cats out to be in a new territory. If she was sick I would say let her stay at your aunt's where she can be watched more closely but since she's not sick I personally think it would be unnessecary stress in addition to the stress of you being gone. Personally I'd just have someone/your aunt come visit your house if possible.

Romina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GreyLady GreyLady FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Tik cat's mum Tik cat's mum Luc Luc Maria Bayote Maria Bayote
Just wanted to thank you all for your valuable inputs.
I'm back from my exams. Had left her at my Aunt's and she actually acted like a sweet little doll and didn't cause any trouble, didn't try to run away or anything. (They did keep her in a room with a view and no one else went in apart from my Aunt)
She didn't want to come back home with me lol.
But anyway, just wanted to say it worked out fine. Thanks once again.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you are back with your kitty and all went well. Seems like she really was spoiled rotten as what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said. You need to bring her to your aunt for a visit every now and then. There could still be some kitty treats left over, and your cat knows it. LOL.

I also hope all went well with your exams. :)