Best Odor Controlling Litter?

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just did a search for this and found a few threads, but I was hoping to get some opinions more recently than when those threads were made.

I live in a small house with two kittens. Due to a limited amount of space, we have one litter box (although this might change soon as we now have an extra bedroom). I buy Arm and Hammer litter (switching between multi-cats or whatever is on sale), but our small bathroom still smells terrible. I'm spending too much on air fresheners and they're not working. I clean the box daily and wash the box/change the litter every Saturday. We have a closed litter box because litter was getting EVERYWHERE and when we got out of the shower, we would be stepping in it.

Changing to anything else is not an option, so I'm looking for some opinions on the types of litter everyone uses that works best for odor control.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat litter for Multi cat households.  It works really well.  Also get a litter mat to cut down on the tracking.  I too hated stepping on the litter.  You can find them at pet stores, Target as well as Amazon. 

I used to use and just loved World's Best.  It's made from corn and flushable.  It was so easy to clean the box especially when located in the bathroom.  It had a fresh ground corn scent.  I loved it because it clumped so well and my one cat always pees on the sides.  This litter was so light he couldn't pee on the sides.  Unfortunately the cats didn't care too much for the litter.  I had to go back to non flushable.

Hope this helps.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to disagree with ShadowsRescue on Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat litter. My only experience is with the multi-cat formula and I found that it had absolutely no odor control. 20 minutes after a cat pooped, and covered the poop, the house was still stinking.

Tidy Cat Multi-cat also does a pretty good job of odor control, but it scatters a lot further than some of the others.

I used to use the Walmart brand Special Kitty Multi-cat litter, but I think they may have changed their formula. It's still good for odor control, but dustier than I remember it being. Or maybe it's just that I've been using something with less dust.

I currently use Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh (walnut based), multi-cat formula only. The odor control is good, but not quite as good as some of the clay litters. In general I've found that the clay clumping litters are better at odor control than the "natural" litters. You just have to decide which feature is most important to you.

I've experimented with a lot of different litters over the years and have found that the multi-cat formulas are considerably better at odor control than the regular formula, even in the same brand.

Don't use scented litter. Mostly all that does is put a lot of dust into the air and add one more smell to the mix.

Do you have any place besides the bathroom that you can put the litter box? Odors seem to decreased more rapidly as the litter dries out the deposits. The moisture in the bathroom might be affecting how well the litter works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the posts so far!

I like the sound of World's Best, hopefully my cats wouldn't mind the change if I gradually switch over. Might give that a try. Is it good for odor control?

I've also heard good things about Tidy Cats and Fresh Step, so I might give those a shot too. May just have to experiment a bit until I find the right one.

As of now, there is literally no other place to put the litter box. I refuse to put it in our bedroom and we do not have access to the basement from inside. Our kitchen/dining room are rather open and our living room is carpeted so it just doesn't work. Due to my roommate and I actually getting together and dating (lol), the room I was in will now be turned into an office, so I have been considering putting a box in there as well as keeping the one in the bathroom :)