Best Natural Cat Litter But Same Feeling As Clay?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So I have two senior cats and I would love to change their litter, but that has failed in the past. I've tried the Blue Buffalo one and the Smart Cat. I really wish the Smart Cat one worked, but every single one of them (at the time I had 3 cats) didn't like how it felt under their paws. Right now they're using CatSens, which out of all the clay litter I can find around me, is the most natural. But it is so bloody dusty.

Do you have any suggestions for natural litter but that has the same (or close to it) feel/consistency to clay litter? Something super soft?

Please note that I live in Canada, and I can't get all the brands.

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you mix two litters, in other words one that isn't a clumping litter with the catsens, to see if that will help absorb the dust?
I'm having some luck with that, by adding Littermaid's walnut to my clumping clay, maybe you could do something like that?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If you like the Smart Cat, you might try what I did to transition my three to it. They didn’t like it either because they sank into it, so I backed up and started to mix it into the clumping clay (Dr. Elsey’s) slowly. And I do mean sloooooowwwwwly. I started with the boxes at 100 percent clay. Each time I needed to add litter, I added the Smart Cat and stirred it in well. It took months before the boxes were completely switched, but I was really determined that they would use it. It’s more environmentally friendly, it clumps well, it controls odor, and it’s easier on my back! My two long-haired, fluffy-toed girls do track it (it’s not too bad with my short-haired Mocha), but that’s why they invented brooms, dustpans, and vacuums! :) All three use it now with no hesitation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll have to try mixing them together. I was told not to mix, so I never did haha. But I think I would like the combo of natural and clay (organic). I think my senior cats won't mind it either. Also, any suggestions for high back, low entry litter boxes?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'll have to try mixing them together. I was told not to mix, so I never did haha. But I think I would like the combo of natural and clay (organic). I think my senior cats won't mind it either. Also, any suggestions for high back, low entry litter boxes?
What was the reason given for not mixing? I’ve never heard that. I always mix them. In fact, right now I have a 3:1 mix of Smart Cat to Okocat clumping wood litter because the Okocat was on super sale.

I have this box which I really like for my two almost 15-year-olds:
https://www.chewy.com/frisco-high-sided-cat-litter-box-gray/dp/168285. Super slick so litter doesn’t stick. (Sounds like a marketing tag line! :))

I’ve also made my own in the past using a Sterilite storage bin. At this point, I’d need to make the entrance lower for my arthritic kitties if I were to use it again.
9CADABA5-167C-4A2F-8721-2A25443D2985.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The issue is even that litter has the entrance too high for my old lady and my tripod kitty. I've seen corner litter boxes that would perfectly meet my criteria, except that it's a corner litter, which is WAY to small! I wish I could use a non high back litter, but with my tripod, he would probably pee outside the box :/
And I'm not quite sure where I got that. I believe it is more of a marketing thing where companies warn not to mix lol