Best Litter / Litter Box Solution

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m actually experimenting right now to see how long a bag of Smart Cat clumping grass litter lasts with my three cats. It’s $30 for a 20-lb. bag but it seems like it lasts awhile. There’s a big upfront cost, of course, to fill multiple litter boxes.
Please let me know how you do with that. I'd be very interested. I'm sure I'm not alone either.

You could consider mixing the inexpensive Costco and a more expensive variety like Okocat. It would cut the cost and reduce some of the dust. I used a mix of Dr. Elsey’s Ultra clumping clay and Smart Cat clumping grass for months and it worked well. I even added some Okocat for awhile because I still had a box of it! :)
:noway: I didn't even think that was possible! I never thought to even attempt to blend the litters as I thought they'd reacted like oil and water. This may be a fine idea!

I agree about the dust. They’re all dusty, and it’s even inconsistent within brands. One bag will be almost dust-free and the next much more dusty.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that noticed this!:bliss:I sometimes see the dust and think - cat + Asthma, or even no asthma - this really can't be good for them - or us.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had rabbits I exclusively used wood pellets for them (I think they are the same as the horse pellets) it's like $4 for a giant bag at the hardware store. I never had any problems with it. Sometimes the bottom gets mushy if its been a little while since it was changed because it doesnt clump but not really a problem, just something you have to deal with with non clumping litter.
This is going to be a weird question... but... I'm asking anyway 'cause I'm fearless like that...

Were you able to semi-easily tell if they started peeing less? Or over time learn how much mush you should have that was "normal" for them?

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd think there would be some way for these companies to take the dust out of the litter. I think they just want it to weigh more, so they leave the dust in. Or they don't want to pay to dispose of it, so they leave it in.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I didn't even think that was possible! I never thought to even attempt to blend the litters as I thought they'd reacted like oil and water. This may be a fine idea!
Several people here have said they use Litter Maid clumping walnut litter, available at Walmart. I haven’t used it but apparently it’s low or no dust and less expensive. It doesn’t clump as hard from what I read, but I think someone mentioned mixing it with Abound, a clumping grass litter carried by Kroger grocery store, which is less expensive than Smart Cat. So they got the advantage of the grass litter’s better clumping with the walnut litter’s low dust. Happy experimenting!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd think there would be some way for these companies to take the dust out of the litter. I think they just want it to weigh more, so they leave the dust in. Or they don't want to pay to dispose of it, so they leave it in.
I swear that's true! I know things settle over time so I expect a little bit - but a lot of these 99.9% ones - can't possibly be accurate! I've met those dust clouds!

Several people here have said they use Litter Maid clumping walnut litter, available at Walmart. I haven’t used it but apparently it’s low or no dust and less expensive. It doesn’t clump as hard from what I read, but I think someone mentioned mixing it with Abound, a clumping grass litter carried by Kroger grocery store, which is less expensive than Smart Cat. So they got the advantage of the grass litter’s better clumping with the walnut litter’s low dust. Happy experimenting!
Started a web search after you mentioned it. One of the main sources of info came from a threadt right here on TCS lol. It sounds very promising too.

Can't get in Canada GRRRR. That's okay - I live right beside the border so I have no trouble going for a US neighbor visit! :-)

Looks like these new kinds like the grass, Walnut, and Okocat last longer than clay too - so even though they are more expensive it might be offset a bit by it lasting longer.

I will keep you informed! Thank you for all this wonderful info!

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory how goes the experiment - too early to tell?

I mixed the horse pellets and the yesterday's news for W.L she took to it well. I have to call the manufacturer though so I am suspecting it's made of pine *sigh*