Best litter box for two cats?

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two litterboxes, one for my original 9-year-old female, and one for my adopted ten-year-old male.

My girl's litterbox is accessed through a cat flap into an enclosure in the garage.

My boy's litter box is in the downstairs powder room for want of another place to put it. I've noticed recently that it smells a lot more, and it needs cleaning all the time. Also, my girl's litter is almost empty. Adding two and two, I've realized that she'd rather use his litter box than go through the cat flap, because she's a chunky girl and it's easier to use the one in the powder room.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a two-cat box, preferably one that has an odour-reducing capability, like maybe one of the self-sifting ones? Do they work?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't address the self-sifting boxes and whether they really do anything to help with odor, but I do know you could have an issue with getting either of the cats to use it given their age. Just like humans, the older cats get the more likely they are to resist such a change, particularly with their litter boxes.

No chance of finding another location to place a second box in? Many members find that they can live with one box for two cats, but there are probably more that find it works best to have at least one per cat (not to mention the good old rule of thumb - one for each cat plus another one, equaling 3). If you can possibly find another location for a second box, that might solve your odor issue, since it would seem that wasn't a problem before you realized your girl was using the same one as your male.

I know it can be a pain, but most of the time scooping litter boxes at least twice a day really helps to control odor. I scoop more than twice a day, and it sure does make a difference - and I find I go through fewer complete litter changes too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise