Best kitten food brand?

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently got 2 new kittens. Hot debate I'm sure. What is the best food brand????

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, it depends on a few things... What is sustainable for your budget, for your time, and what will the kittens eat? It's not 100% by any means, but often times, the higher the cost the higher the quality of the food (less filler). So see what would work long term with your budget. Others can weigh in on nutrition info, but I take a practical approach. I've seen cats live to 19 on cheap food and seen cats only live to 10 on expensive food.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what you consider "best" since people's opinions differ greatly. However if you can look at a couple sites that give their opinion on what is best based on things like ingredients and nutrition amounts. You can then make up your own mind what is best for your kittens based on what you can afford, what you can get where you live, and how you feel about certain ingredients.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Unbiased Cat Food Brands Reviews (A-Z) In 2023 With Ratings - Cats.com

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Research on cat foods for healthy cats is still in progress. Personally, I do not feed foods with legumes (peas, beans, etc) as research in dogs showed it caused heart conditions and research for cats is not complete.

I liked Purina Pro Plan kitten food. I also like Royal Canin, however it's expensive.

My advice is to feed whatever allows you to afford your yearly vet visits, potentially pet insurance and save for future vet costs. Feed at least one can of wet cat food per day to each cat with extra water added, also as is in your budget. Until such a time when/if your vet advises that your cat needs specific food.

In the past, I was encouraged to feed more expensive food and told it would limit vet costs long term. It did not. I even started Magnus on 'boutique' food as a kitten and he also had more health issues then (he has some issues he would have had regardless and some that stopped after changing food).

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Different cats do best on different diets. You'll want to use a food that keeps their fur soft, energy levels good and playful, eyes bright and their stool regular and consistent texture (not too hard or soft). It's recommended to do a couple different foods because we can't control food shortages or recipe changes and you don't want to have your cat refuse to try something new.

For wet foods my main brand is still Purina. We do kitten pate (ages 2 and 3 for my cats) and urinary (no urinary issues but my late cat got them hooked on this). I like to buy a case of Wureva when it's on sale and split a can between my three cats for lunch, particularly the lamb. On occasion we do Fancy Feast, Applepaws, Iams Perfect Portions or anything similar to the above brands in terms of ingredients. If a recipe is similar enough, I don't have any tummy issues with them. I never feed wet foods with peas, beans or potatoes just like for dry foods.
Unfortunately, Magnus has a beef allergy which prevents us from feeding Purina Pro Plan dry since their formula was updated. We now do Royal Canin dental because Calcifer and Ghost chew it consistently. Studies have shown that if your cat will chew the dry food there is some benefit (for their teeth) to have some in their diet.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Recently got 2 new kittens. Hot debate I'm sure. What is the best food brand????
If possible, keep them on what they're used to eating before doing a switch. Let them settle in first. Did the place you got them from tell you what brand/formula they were feeding?

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wet food is best.Mine do very well on Friskies and Fancy Feast pate, they have been on this diet since they were kittens. As others have said purchase what your budget allows .

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The best food is a food your cat will eat. You could buy the best premium human grade glutten free grain free food out there but it would be pointless if the cat doesn't touch it.