Best Kibble For The Price, *must Be Limited Ingredient*

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now, we feed everyone Instinct, limited ingredient, as we have a senior with food allergies, and, when we feed canned food, we feed the guy with allergies the Instinct Limited Ingredient canned food and everyone else Fancy Feast Classic, which was recommended by someone here and is working out great so far. In fact, to emphasize how much cats need canned food, we send a free 24 pack with every adoption. As a small rescue and always have 3-6 kittens hanging around, and if they're older, like the current 6 baby batch is, they can put a lot of food away!

Our rescue is not state funded because we live in an apartment, a big apartment with a cool landlord, but still an apartment, so everything we do is out of pocket. We can't buy a house until my husband has been an independent contractor for 2 years, or we'd have bought a house already. While our current cat food is great, I'm wondering if there are any brands that are more affordable, because the cost is hitting us hard. The kittens we've had had needed socialization and had worms, upper respiratory viruses, and coccidia when brought in, so they've had to be here for awhile, plus, our old vet retired so we had to broker a discount with a new one. Best we could find is 20%, whereas it was much higher with the old vet. This has just been a difficult time for us. Is there a cheaper alternative low ingredient dry food we can feed that's still good for our babies? Or should we just stick to Instinct? I have fundraisers coming up and ways to cut costs, but food being cheaper would be a big help.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with sticking with what works. Maybe try writing to Chewy.com, Fancy Feast itself or talking with the owner of the local pet store. Explain you foster bring along some cute photos and ask if they can help. A small pet store might be willing to set up a donation box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this stuff is really good and has had rave reviews from other rescuers, but it isn't cheap. At the same time, I don't want to sacrifice quality for my babies' well being. I'm just asking because I used to use the very expensive Ever Clean litter when Fresh Step Triple Action seems to be very close to the same at about half the price. I was just wondering if there's an option like that for food.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd agree with sticking with what works. Maybe try writing to Chewy.com, Fancy Feast itself or talking with the owner of the local pet store. Explain you foster bring along some cute photos and ask if they can help. A small pet store might be willing to set up a donation box.
That's a great idea! And we use Chewy, but my husband is a trucker and I'm a self employed, freelance graphic artist (Was going for med school but my health made that no longer an option.) so income is variable and we are better off some weeks than others, so subscription is something we're nervous about.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a great idea! And we use Chewy, but my husband is a trucker and I'm a self employed, freelance graphic artist (Was going for med school but my health made that no longer an option.) so income is variable and we are better off some weeks than others, so subscription is something we're nervous about.
I meant also to ask them for a donation and Fancy Feast as a company. A well worded letter can at the very least get you coupons or free shipping or something that will help even a little. If not, well at least you tried.

If you have any big pet stores get on their mailing lists. Then take advantage of sales and bulk buy savings. Those buy $60 and save $20 type things or the occassional discount coupons. If you have Bank of America they usually have one of the two big box pet stores with 5% back on purchase offer if you activate it. Discover card does bonus rewards points on specific stores.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I meant also to ask them for a donation and Fancy Feast as a company. A well worded letter can at the very least get you coupons or free shipping or something that will help even a little. If not, well at least you tried.

If you have any big pet stores get on their mailing lists. Then take advantage of sales and bulk buy savings. Those buy $60 and save $20 type things or the occassional discount coupons. If you have Bank of America they usually have one of the two big box pet stores with 5% back on purchase offer if you activate it. Discover card does bonus rewards points on specific stores.
Thank you so much. I'll start penning letters and couponing in general. I've always been told I have a way with words when I choose to use it, lol. Maybe I can use that skill to get some help.

Is the fact that I am not 501 c certified going to hurt me? Should I include a copy of my adoption form for proof?

ShawnGremlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Iams. Not sure if that helps any. However, before that I was a strict Science Diet Sensitive Stomach buyer and still recommend it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much. I'll start penning letters and couponing in general. I've always been told I have a way with words when I choose to use it, lol. Maybe I can use that skill to get some help.

Is the fact that I am not 501 c certified going to hurt me? Should I include a copy of my adoption form for proof?
It may matter with some companies. It all depends on how well you write and if you can tug some heart strings. Include any information that supports what you are saying, a photo, links to website, facebool or instagram.

Speaking of, if you don't already you should chronicle you fostering on facebook and instagram. Search both for other fosters in your area and connect with them. It helps you build a foster network so if you go on a trip or need help you have people to reach out to. Also, people will connect once you get some followers going and several kitties will end up with homes even before you are ready to find them. AND you can quietly link an amazon wishlist to both profiles and when you get the question of how can some help just refer them to the link. I've seen instagram foster moms pull in hundreds and thosands of dollars for emergency surgeries when they really need to. Of course that takes a huge following but even smaller followings are able to get some food and litter donated. If you already are great.