Best Hairball Food???

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the best hairball food???
My cat doesn't eat wet food.
I'm trying t get her to, but it's a challenge.
She will eat some different dry foods.
Looking for one that helps with hairballs.
When she has hairballs, I give her the lax for it.
But even giving her that is a challenge.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she will eat butter or margarine, have her lick that off of your finger or put a dab on her paw. If you are trying to get her to get rid of a current hairball, do it daily for the next few days. If you are doing it for maintenance, do it every other day or every three days.

Something as simple as Vaseline will also work - but, some cats eat it readily and others do not. I had one cat who would and two others that would not. There are also flavored petroleum jelly's (pretty much flavored Vaseline) that some cats will eat. My second cat loved it!

Also, raw egg yolks can work (no white, which has to be cooked before a cat should eat it).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cooked egg yolks work well also. If your furry friend likes them, you can actually order them freeze dried here: EZ Egg Yolk

That's what I give one of mine for hairballs, and he loves them and doesn't seem to have hairball issues. Unfortunately, my other cat isn't fond of egg yolks, so I can't give him very much at all (mixed into his food) or he won't eat :sigh: For him, I give him Vets Best Hairball Relief tabs, broken up for easier chewing. I try to give him at least one per day.