Best grooming tool for siamese

highnote

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a bunch of siamese, and although they are "short hair" I do find hair lying around. It gets ugly on our dark hardwood floors. I want to find a good grooming tool to help with this problem... I've heard some people mention the furminator, some mention zoom groom- which is best for a short haired breed like siamese?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Zoom Groom is best for an ultra shorthair like the Siamese. I use one on my Orientals a couple of times a week, gets out a lot of loose fur!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a zoom groom for my DSHs too.
It works very well on Sho who has a slightly thicker coat for a short hair and on Tomas who has a sleek thin coat.

And if it doesn't work for you, you can always wash it in hot water and give it to a friend who has cats.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I alternate between using the Zoom Groom and a grooming glove....they both work very well on my Siamese. Plus, he thinks that the grooming glove is just a deluxe "massage"!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO all you need is your hands (damp) and a flea comb. Close laying fur you don't want to be too rough with a comb like Furminator. But you can get the small rubber brushes to use on them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the zoom groom is a small rubber brush GK
Unless there is something different you refer to. The Oris absolutely love it - kitty massage as far as they are concerned! I am not big into grooming which is why I have ultra shorthairs, but the zoom groom is the best option for cats like a Siamese, just thick rubber teeth and it pulls the loose hair towards the teeth by static electricity (but not on a level that either you or the cats can feel). Jacob and Sonic are both having a seasonal moult at the moment and it really does work wonders. The first couple of strokes the hair goes everywhere, but after that it sticks to the rubber teeth - absolutely superb. The furminator is not suitable for ultra shorthairs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok - you are right - but they used to use a smaller rubber brush at the cat shows - I bought one but used it on my treehouses to get get the fur off - it was little different then the Zoom one

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ok - you are right - but they used to use a smaller rubber brush at the cat shows - I bought one but used it on my treehouses to get get the fur off - it was little different then the Zoom one
I use the zoom groom to de-fur my carpet between carpet-cleaning sessions as well, if you do it in a smooth circular motion it works really quite well

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the furminator on my siamese, I'm gentle with it but once a week outside grooming and no cat hair on the floor ever. Just don't over do it........you may or may not
get small bald spots. Not that I've ever done that to cello........

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might depend on how thick your Siamese coat is - the show Siamese have an ultra short coat that is almost "painted" on - not very thick. But other Siamese have a little more depth to the coat.

I would never use the Furminator on Siamese, Orientals, Rexes, Burmese, or Oci's - Oci's coats are pretty short and slick, the Furminator would do damage to the coat.

Ling could use one - her fur is more dense and longer then Charlie's.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't like rubber brushes--Tiny hates it--but I haven't had much trouble running a flea comb through their fur. Added bonus: I discover flea problems early.

By the way, it isn't just your furniture you're protecting; when you brush regularly, you help prevent hairballs. Shorthaired cats shed, too.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you could also have excessive fur loss due to a lack of oils in the diet! maybe getting a supplement or feeding oily fish

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^But only if it's ok for the kitties to have that.

Given the time of year, I think most of us are dealing with a bit of increased shedding - even if we feed our cats high quality foods.

I want to see pictures of a cat being vacuumed, that almost sounds too outrageous to believe.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I want to see pictures of a cat being vacuumed, that almost sounds too outrageous to believe.
How about a video instead?

There are a few others on YouTube as well.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^But only if it's ok for the kitties to have that.

Given the time of year, I think most of us are dealing with a bit of increased shedding - even if we feed our cats high quality foods.

I posted a picture of Bijou being vacuumed in the Fur pictures. He really does enjoy it, he'll roll over so that I don't miss any spots. He particularly likes his head and neck area done. The picture I posted I was using the large brush, but normally I use the upholstery brush on him. Also, this is the central vacuum which is not nearly as loud as an upright vacuum for instance.

Bijou is very laid-back and relaxed for a cat. He was laying on the table the other night, so I just picked up his paw and clipped his nails - I don't even have to hold him to do it.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester used to like being vacuumed by the central vac too. You're very right though, now that I'm in an apartment, he is scared of my canister vac. It sure is an easy way to prevent hairballs though!
I saw a vac groomer for horses once....same idea with a shoulder strap lol

roselady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend showed me how to use nitrile disposable gloves to remove shedding fur from my Tonkinese cat [short hair]. He surprised and amazed me by stroking the cat vigorously all over with the result of my dark blue carpet being totally covered in hair after only a minute or two. It was almost as though the gloves were magnetic! By the way, the cat absolutely loved it and continued to come back for more. If you try it, post results for us.