Best Foods For Feeding Tube

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any suggestions for foods which either mix well with water or blend well and can go in the tube. I would prefer not to have to blend them but any suggestions are welcome.
Right now my cat gets royal canin recovery food mixed with water but I would like to try some other types of food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Science Diet also makes a recover food, which is called A/D. Really, when using a feeding tube, it's probably best to use a recovery food, because they are higher in vitamins and things needed for recovering from illness, and most cats are on a feeding tube because they are or were ill.

But if you don't want to go that route, most pate versions should blend well to go into a feeding tube. Honestly, I thought even the recovery foods needed to be blended with another liquid before going into the tube.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
any commerical pate canned food can be watered down and fed into the feeding tube.
Yes............PROVIDED the food is well-pureed !

That concerned me, particularly with stayhomeclub's "preference" not to blend.

If anything should block the tube, boy, there will be trouble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I wrote that post kind of hurriedly so maybe I sounded harsh when I said I would prefer not to blend food. I didn't mean it that way. I would absolutely do anything to help my cat.
For the sake of convenience, foods which don't need to be blended are ideal but not essential. My cat is able to eat on her own but I tube feed as well when her appetite is a bit down and also to administer some of her medications.
The recovery food is great because it's basically slop and mixes so well with water.
I'll take all of your suggestions with me when I pick up an order of food at the vet today. Thanks again.