Best Flea Treatment?

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! We're treating our kitties next week, and I'm looking for the most effective flea treatment. Trying to decide between advantage, frontline and revolution. Wondering what everyone else uses to keep the fleas under control. I'm also open to other suggestions if you have them. Thanks. =)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Call your local vet and ask what they recommend. Seriously. Fleas have regional immunity to different treatment options so the best choice for you is the one that your vet knows works in your area.
I never knew that. Interesting. :think: Thanks!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always used Frontline but recently got Bravecto, which needs to given only every 3 months. Do you give your cats something for heartworm? It can happen in cats and all it takes is a mosquito bite. I use Ivermectin, which, amazingly, you can get without a prescription.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always used Frontline but recently got Bravecto, which needs to given only every 3 months. Do you give your cats something for heartworm? It can happen in cats and all it takes is a mosquito bite. I use Ivermectin, which, amazingly, you can get without a prescription.
The reason I was considering revolution was because it supposedly protects against a variety of things, including heartworm, earmites and sarcoptic mange. However, there is an FDA warning about products with isoxazoline so I'm not sure we'll go that route. I was interested in Bravecto, but I'm not sure whether or not my vet offers it. We have a follow up appointment for our kitten Athena, so I plan to talk to her about it then. Pretty sure frontline is the product my vet most commonly recommends.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correction:I should have said "products within the isoxazoline class" I'm still not entirely sure what that means. I need to read more into it, but I see Bravecto is on the list too.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is a wonderful product. Now they came out with Revolution Plus for cats. It always worked well. All products have some kind of warning on them. You will go crazy trying to pick through all of them.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we purchased frontline plus, and treated all seven of our cats with it. This was nearly a three day process because we chose to separate all of them for 24 hours, and we're only able to separate 3 at a time atm.

I called the vet to ask about best flea medicine, and regional immunity and such, and she assured me that frontline is a very good product, but just like all other products will not kill fleas is the pupae stage. She also told me I only had to separate the cats for about 30 mins, so I feel kind of silly doing the 24 hours thing.:rolleyes:

So far things have been mostly good. I haven't seen our babies scratching since about two days after applying the treatment, and snickles, our kitty with a flea allergy has been letting all of his hair grow back. The only problem is that two of them now have bald spots on the back of their neck where the treatment was applied.

This is the first time we've ever used a topical on our cats, since they're exclusively indoor and we've been able to manage using natural care spray until now. The night Athena came home from the vet though, I noticed a flea on her and a few days later they all had them. Next time I'll be sure they've been treated with a preventative before taking them in, as I'm 99.9% sure that's where they came from.