Best FIBER for cats ❓

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys

I have a 1yr male Scottish

Had soft stool for several months on industrial dry food. Then switched to homemade turkey+pumpkin+chicken liver and improved so much.

This week I switched to Darwin's raw food.

To avoid constipation, what is the HEALTIEST FIBER for cats ? I know pumpkin help regulating BM but I'm concerned by its high sugar content. Bacterias are fed by sugars. Plus I'm concerned for diabetes. And also, pumpkin is not present in the natural environment of "ancient" cats.

But maybe I'm just overthinking.

Are there other/better options ? Or pumpkin is the best pick ? If so, in what quantity compared to the meat content ?

Thanks a lot
Marco & Adam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just read about ground Flaxseed also

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure how helpful I am, but Ive been using oatgrass. I cut it into teeny pieces and feed it to her and it works to speed up the bowels.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The Darwin’s you are feeding already contains tomato pomace as a fiber source. I don’t think you need to add anything else on top of that. Maybe monitor your cat and if you notice signs of constipation then add a tiny amount of pumpkin or flaxseed. Pumpkin is fine to give daily. I give my cats half a teaspoon every day. But again, you probably don’t have to since Darwin’s already contains a fiber source. Just monitor and wait.

Cats on raw diets generally just poop less frequently too because they are consuming less vegetable and plant matter that they are unable to digest and that only serves as a poop bulker. They also tend to shed less which means they will have fewer hairball poops.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
It is worth noting that fiber supplements can be harmful almost as often as it is helpful when it comes to cats.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To avoid constipation, what is the HEALTIEST FIBER for cats ?
Hi Marco.

Let me give you the answer in two (easy-to-read, plain-language, science-based) pieces......from a most reliable source:
  1. Feline Constipation.org - Gut Bacteria and Fiber
  2. Feline Constipation.org - Fiber or Prebiotics
The first outlines the need for and the benefits of fiber to a cat, the second, the type of fiber (with examples) that's best-suited to our cats.

[those are two parts of what should be, imo, required reading....or, at least, understanding....for anyone taking on responsibility for a cat]

Hope that helps !

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna jump in here so I can keep an eye on this thread just in case you found something that works for you.

My cat has had longstanding alternating constipation/diarrhea issues so the vet suggested Hill's w/d (wet food 'cause he doesn't drink water). It's actually worked quite well for the last few weeks, but it's expensive so I'd like a slightly cheaper option if I can find one. He's not a huge fan of pumpkin and it didn't seem to help when I tried it with him. *shrug*

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi ManekiNekko.

Many cats are no fans of canned pumpkin, unfortunately. (sometimes, though, if it is introduced verrrrrrry sloooooowly, starting with just a pinch and ever gradually increasing that amount over time, it may be accepted).

The canned pumpkin has a bitterness that 'sours' the usual taste of the food.

You might try butternut squash baby food (Gerber's works!) as an alternate. Again, start with tiny amounts and increase as needed until the stool is acceptable.

I suggest you go back to my own previous post (#6) and read through those pieces.

Hope that helps!

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ManekiNekko.

Many cats are no fans of canned pumpkin, unfortunately. (sometimes, though, if it is introduced verrrrrrry sloooooowly, starting with just a pinch and ever gradually increasing that amount over time, it may be accepted).

The canned pumpkin has a bitterness that 'sours' the usual taste of the food.

You might try butternut squash baby food (Gerber's works!) as an alternate. Again, start with tiny amounts and increase as needed until the stool is acceptable.

I suggest you go back to my own previous post (#6) and read through those pieces.

Hope that helps!
Cool, thanks, White Shadow.

Landon&Lucasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We raw feed our bengals and have to give on 1/8 teaspoon of miralax to help him because he gets so constipated.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Vital Essentials frozen (not the freeze dried) and we put in monthly orders from Raw Feeding Miami for the chicken and turkey grinds.
It might be the amount of bone in the food. A lot of commercial raw foods have too much bone that can cause constipation.

Melomac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Marco.

Let me give you the answer in two (easy-to-read, plain-language, science-based) pieces......from a most reliable source:
  1. Feline Constipation.org - Gut Bacteria and Fiber
  2. Feline Constipation.org - Fiber or Prebiotics
The first outlines the need for and the benefits of fiber to a cat, the second, the type of fiber (with examples) that's best-suited to our cats.

[those are two parts of what should be, imo, required reading....or, at least, understanding....for anyone taking on responsibility for a cat]

Hope that helps !
Wow very informative and enlightening site ...bookmarked for future reference! Can't help but see parallels with what ive been finding out about human gut biome, leaky gut syndrome and inflammation.

Melomac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sprouted oat, barley, wheat bought from a human health food store and my 1 yo big boy chomps down a small bunch everyday from my hand. He loves his greens! His stools are immense both in volume and smell and wellformed and very regular, which is great considering how addicted to kibble he is and how much of that he wolfs down.