Best Dry Kibble For Multiple Cats?

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We currently feed our three cats (2 adults, 1 kitten) the Rachel Ray Nutrish salmon and brown rice dry food. Our kitten has eaten Royal Canin babyloaf and kitten instinctive wet foods, Blue Wilderness kitten dry food, and the Halo kitten dry food, but refused to eat the dry food in favor of his big sisters’ food lol.

I know RR is not the best dry food and I would like to switch them to something better for them, but that will also be affordable since we’re feeding three!

Also our 4 year old cat, Echo, has a suspected allergy to chicken (started losing fur and had a swollen bottom lip/chin when we tried a chicken-flavored food), so a seafood flavor or other flavor is ideal!

I’ve looked at Halo and Wellness brands since I see those mentioned a lot around the web, but there are just sooo many choices and I’m so paranoid about all of these recent horror stories with pet foods

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I would love to be able to incorporate wet food as well... They all drink PLENTY of water so I’m not super concerned about that, but I know it’s better for them. Our oldest cat has always absolutely refused wet food (we’ve had her since birth and she’s always eaten dry food which is probably why wet doesn’t interest her)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A limited ingredient food would be best since you have one cat with an intolerance to chicken. Try these:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Limited Ingredients | Natural Balance Pet Foods
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
https://www.instinctpetfood.com/cats/limited-ingredient-diet
How old is the kitten? You may need to continue feeding kitten specific food. I'm not sure if kitten foods these days come in other proteins besides chicken and fish:think: You may need to feed the kitten separately from the one cat who can't have chicken.

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten? You may need to continue feeding kitten specific food. I'm not sure if kitten foods these days come in other proteins besides chicken and fish:think: You may need to feed the kitten separately from the one cat who can't have chicken.
Thanks for the suggestions! He’s around 5-6 months old. We had a hard time finding any kitten food that was salmon or fish flavored - Halo was one of the only brands we found but he didn’t seem to like it. We were feeding him separately from our other two cats, but we free feed the adults and the problem we had was keeping him out of their food. He would snub his food and eat all of their food instead. And when we tried putting the adult cats’ food up where he couldn’t reach but they could, he still barely touched his food. I guess we could try moving the two adults to a feeding schedule instead of free feeding but I don’t think they would like that :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've personally had good luck with Wellness, though I know others haven't. I do know they have several chicken free varieties in both dry and wet, so if you know specifically it is a chicken allergy and aren't just guessing, there are options in that brand. They are all adult foods, though.

I don't really know about other foods. Tbh, I started feeding Wellness since that's what my bf's cat ate and knowing we'd eventually move in together figured it'd be easiest if they could eat the same.

echo.rory.noodles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've personally had good luck with Wellness, though I know others haven't. I do know they have several chicken free varieties in both dry and wet, so if you know specifically it is a chicken allergy and aren't just guessing, there are options in that brand. They are all adult foods, though.

I don't really know about other foods. Tbh, I started feeding Wellness since that's what my bf's cat ate and knowing we'd eventually move in together figured it'd be easiest if they could eat the same.
Wellness was on our list of brands to try with the new kitten, after Halo, so maybe we’ll see how he likes it.

We don’t know for sure that she has an allergy/intolerance but as soon as we switched her to the salmon flavored food we currently feed, all of her symptoms disappeared. Could’ve been a coincidence but the only thing that had changed was her food. She had eaten seafood flavored food her whole life up until we tried a new brand that was chicken flavored.