Best dry food for constipation

Haifa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, can anyone recommend any dry food for constipation? I am feeding her wet food everyday but she prefers dry food. I have tried royal canin Gastrointestinal High Fibre but she doesn't seem to like it. Will the regular royal canin Gastrointestinal be okay? how about royal canin hairball care?
thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does she get constipated on her wet food? Or is that why she is on wet food because dry normally causes constipation? If that is the case, I suspect most any dry food will have a similar reaction because it is probably due to one or another filler that is commonly added to dry foods.

If she is not a prolific water drinker, that too can cause dry tood to contribute to constipation given how much moisture is in wet foods.

I'd say keep her on the wet food for the most part. You could give her a small amount of dry to accompany. one of her wet food meals, just to see if constipation occurs if her diet is mainly wet food. High fiber may not be the answer since some cats can get constipated from too much fiber.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will say that one of my cats who always ate wet food but had an issue with constipation recently had an intestinal bacterial overgrowth and the Vet said to feed him a high fiber diet in order to try to get rid of the overgrowth, so I added a dry food to the mix since adding psyllium to his wet food caused a revolt! Anyway, by adding this new high fiber food I never saw so much poop in my life! I was worried about doing it since he already had constipation issues, but for awhile it really helped with the issue. Now, however, I have had to cut back on it because I'm seeing huge (size wise) poops, less frequently, and I can tell he's straining because of the sheer size of his stool.

What I bought was the highest fiber food I could find, and I actually had to order it from Chewy because no one locally had it. It's Iam's ProActive Health Hairball (orange bag vs blue bag)

Now I actually mix that with another dry food that has less fiber to get a good mix.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've found that supplements with slippery elm bark helps our cat with constipation more than pumpkin or just feeding wet food. Ireland gets two supplements that include it (Adored Beast's Feline Gut Soothe and Vet's Best's anti-hairball tablets) plus small amounts of slippery elm bark syrup. (I've run the numbers to be sure this isn't too much -- our vet approved!) She improved noticeably after just the Vet's Best, improved even more noticeably after adding the Gut Soothe, and has doing especially well since we added the SEB syrup when she had a herpes flareup. She's now as regular as her sister. She'd been mildly constipated and picky with her food, on and off, for years.

The Vet's Best tablets are the easiest. Ireland loves them and I first tried them on her when I bought them for her very fluffy sister! (I've seen that others have noticed that their cats' constipation eased with Vet's Best, too.)

One thing about food: bone can cause constipation. Just cutting out bone (which is often very plentiful in commercial raw foods) didn't help Ireland enough, though.

No matter what, good luck!