Best Dry Food Brand?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the wet food issue is a texture thing. Some cats like pate, some shreds, some chunks. I tried to get Amalie to eat canned food (not very well) when she had a ton of dental work done, and she just wanted her kibble. So when she had struvite crystals I thought I would try her on commercial raw this time, and she wouldn't do it. Then I got Yue a dental cleaning and her gums were bloody so I put out canned food in a split dish in the girls' feeder. After a few days Amalie started eating it. She still eats kibble, but she's eating some wet food every day now. My only other option I thought I would try to get her to eat wet food was to do shreds like Tiki Cat because she loves cooked chicken when I'm sitting there eating fried chicken or chicken wings.

As for raw food: it varies from company to company and also depends on where you live. Rad Cat is usually at pet specialty stores and has a very simple formula. Nature's Variety is available in pet supermarkets, but contains fruits and veggies. Darwins has a really simple formula and is available online as a monthly sub. You can look up making it yourself from Catinfo.org or feline-nutrition.org and sourcing your meat. Then you can either make your slurry yourself or buy a pre-mix that you add to the meat so that the meal is complete in vitamins, iodine, calcium, and taurine.

I order rabbit from Hare-Today online. I get turkey thighs from the grocer. I mix my slurry. Then final product is portioned into ice cube trays.
I've tried pate, shreds, chunky and more soupy and he's acted the same with each type it's so weird. I tried him on the Wellness Core for dinner tonight and he only had a few bites before deciding he hated it so I had to give him his RC. He just always eats the wet so funky and seems a bit off afterwards (he hasn't thrown up at all though). But of course my other boy will eat anything I put in front of him! I'm going to experiment a little more with different flavors/brands and try to incorporate raw into their diets. I already looked into Rad Cat a bit and luckily have a pet store really close to me that carries it so I might check into that more. When I get more comfortable with the raw diet I might start making their meals myself. Thanks for the info and recommendations!

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This seems pretty wrapped up, but I thought i'd comment anyway. I have three kitties each, one who can't eat grains or seafood without diarrhea, and another with eosinophilic granuloma with unknown triggers... so we have to be very careful with our food.

I find that all of my cats get bored with wet food easily... so I have to keep it interesting. I keep a constant rotation of different flavors of Wellness core, Instinct, Nutro, Nature's balance, Merrick, etch. with all textures, pates, shreds, slices, gravies. This seems to keep them engaged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teen(cat)mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This seems pretty wrapped up, but I thought i'd comment anyway. I have three kitties each, one who can't eat grains or seafood without diarrhea, and another with eosinophilic granuloma with unknown triggers... so we have to be very careful with our food.

I find that all of my cats get bored with wet food easily... so I have to keep it interesting. I keep a constant rotation of different flavors of Wellness core, Instinct, Nutro, Nature's balance, Merrick, etch. with all textures, pates, shreds, slices, gravies. This seems to keep them engaged.
With how picky he is this definitely sounds like a good way to go with him. I'll get a few cans of different brands and gives those a go to make sure he has a variety of textures and flavors. Let's hope it works, thanks!