Best Clumping Kitty Litter? Cat Allergy tips?

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I haven’t had a cat in eight years so I’m slowly trying to remember everything about them😅 So my question is about best clumbing litter? I read clumbing was recommended for people with cat allergies but there is so much conflicting info I wanted to ask what cat owners prefer. Any of tricks for dealing with an allergy to cats I’d love to hear them! I’ve completed allergy shots and my allergy to cats seems loads better- plus I have daily allergy medicine and daily nasal spray, and eye drops as needed. I’ve not reacted since the first day with Link thankfully! My bedroom is cat free and I was curious if a essential oil air purifier would harm him if it’s in my bedroom? Pic of Link for cuteness! He was found on the streets by my best friend and she gave him to me a few days ago!
1AF5AA1D-BDA3-42D9-8D1E-AE9001E4B344.jpeg

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Good Luck and Love with your new kitty~~ Beautiful baby!
How old is Link? He looks sweet but full of mischief!! cute!

I have allergies to cats, also. This is what I have found: I am constantly scooping the litter box.
I keep the claws short~~ trimmed every 3 weeks or so..

It seems that I get a welt to any area which is scratched by either a claw or a love bite. I immediately wash it the area out with alcohol, peroxide and soap & water. If I do not, it itches.

My bedroom has an air purifier, which I run in the evenings.
I take daily allergy meds, have eye drops... oh, I also have asthma... which is pretty much under control.

With my first guy, I asked a groomer what he would suggest. He stated to keep the cats nails short, and perhaps to wipe the cat down periodically with cat cleaning wipes. I did that for a while, but Artie hated being wiped down.

I also took Artie into the groomers for a nail trim, a good brushing and wipe down. After going this route for 6 months, I decided to attempt things myself. I stopped the wiping, just doing the brushing and trimming.. Artie got used to it.

You can always have the groomer put the claw caps on Link; to protect you from scratches.

I also tried covering my actual bed with a larger size sheet, during the day... to keep the fur and antigens out of it.

Also, after you brush Link, shake your clothes out, to shake and wash. I would take a shower immediately.

I tried to keep Artie out of my bedroom; that lasted for 3 days! Then he snuck in, contaminating the entire room.. so I let it go.. He really wanted to cuddle with me at night. As long as he was away from my face, I was ok.

Artie was short haired. Now I have Geoffrey, who is officially short haired, but I swear he has medium hair which is so soft and fluffy. He sheds everywhere! He probably has a long undercoat. Geoffrey is a definite cuddle kitty; always wanting cuddles, kisses, and constantly talking to me. I swear he is half Siamese.
Link looks as if he is Siamese~~~ you will be finding him a wonderful talker. You can have many conversations with him. That is, until it gets to you!!! OMGosh.. what a talker...
Some days, does not shut up!!

I think there is an ideology about human cat allergies: over time, you slowly get accustomed to the antigens in your own cat. I could sniff Artie, and can sniff Geoffrey, without sneezing... Geoffrey always loves to tickle my face and put his butt right in my face!!! He tickles...

As for litter: I use Dr Elsey's Precious Cats clumping litter. It clumps really hard. I do a complete litter change out and wash of the box, every 3 weeks. I go through an 18 lb box every month.

I also use a Litter Genie for waste. I dump it weekly. or sooner, if needed. I have the litter box in the bathroom, with a litter mat under it. The litter still tracks around. I do not think you can find a non-tracking litter. It seems to get caught in-between their claws..

Right now, I am looking for a differ option from clay.. Geoffrey seems to step on his poop a lot; despite bing in an extra large, high sided litter box. I do not want to use corn, as it can be prone to buggies, in humid weather. We have a lot of it where I live~~on the beach. Grass litter seems too light, can be easily thrown around. Same with grass, and wood... so I am undecided what to switch to. Years ago, I tried the walnut litter. I discovered brown dust in my bathroom along with Artie's white paws were turning brown. So that is out.. I have a tiny apartment. Geoffrey is everywhere and has white paws.

These are my thoughts, musings, about what seemed to have helped me, over the years.

I was many many years without a cat~~ decades, really.. I learned a ton with Artie..

Now I kiss, cuddle and love Geoffrey.. Artie was my soul-kitty.. but Geoffrey is a love-bug.. not a lap cat.. but, close..

Good luck and keep posting!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
[QUOTE="artiemom, post: 5215590, member: 7987
I’m trying to keep Link from my bedroom but it’s probably going to fail eventually, haha. I’ll do some more research on litter and I’ve read that Dr Elsey’s is very good but they might have changed their recipe and some people are switching to different brands. Do you know anything about this? Thanks for the response!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don’t. I think they changed things up a bit, several months ago.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't like Dr. Elsey's. Delilah was tracking that all the way across the apartment. Right now I'm using Okocat. It has its good points and bad points, but if Delilah gets it out of the box, at least it's easy to see and you don't die if you step on it barefoot. Most of the Okocat stays on the mat, with a couple of pieces occasionally going as far as the bathroom door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M_Intentions

Alliecat67
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't like Dr. Elsey's. Delilah was tracking that all the way across the apartment. Right now I'm using Okocat. It has its good points and bad points, but if Delilah gets it out of the box, at least it's easy to see and you don't die if you step on it barefoot. Most of the Okocat stays on the mat, with a couple of pieces occasionally going as far as the bathroom door.
Okay thank you! I’ll look into okocat now.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
No, you didn't sound like that all and I do appreciate the input. Our vet has been wonderful. It was just my own attempt at wanting to believe it was constipation or something treatable, but based on other factors as well, we chose to end our little guy's suffering.
Which type of Okocat did you get? the wood shavings or other? Thanks in advance. My guy is a hard digger!!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah is too. Sometimes I swear she's trying to dig to Australia!

I'm using the mini pellets that are low tracking. That doesn't mean they aren't totally no tracking, but like I said it doesn't go as far as the clay.

You will need a scoop with bigger slots. I almost find it works better with 2 scoops, where I get the general area of the clump, then slide the clump into the second scoop and sift the rest.

It does break down into sawdust, but I use litter liners. Because of Delilah's digging I use 2. to get up any bottom clumps I lift the inner liner and jiggle it side to side to get the bottom clumps to the top, then reattach the liner.

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Allerpet on Amazon has worked wonders for a lot of allergy sufferers. I just started it and noticed a difference after my 3rd application. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps you :) good luck!

Allerpet Cat Dander Remover - 100% Non Toxic Pet Allergen Reducer - Scientifically Proven for Effective Cat Allergy Relief - Proudly USA Made (12oz) Amazon.com : Allerpet Cat Dander Remover w/Free Applicator Mitt - Effective Cat Allergy Relief - Anti Allergen Solution Made in USA - (12oz) : Pet Supplies