best claw trimming clippers?

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:wavey:hello[/SIZE

I have gotten my cat very comfortable with me trimming his claws. unfortunately I cannot find or don't know what the best Clippers would be. I just picked up some at the pet store when I started doing it. But now since I do it quite often I want to make sure I have the best type of clippers.

I've seen spring loaded ones ,I've seen the scissors, one that I have and then they come with file I didn't know I had to file the nais .(or do you need to at all) afterwards.

:clap: if anyone had an idea with the sharpest ones would be and what kind would be the best. there are so many on Amazon. Plus the ones I think that are better say they are for dogs and cats. anything you can do to help me would be appreciated. Up for all ideas suggestions

. Thank you bunches
gizmos mother

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew what kind we had, but I have no idea. I know that the ones we use are dog nail clippers though (for smaller dog breeds). They are great because they aren't too small for larger hands. The scissor kind are better than any of the guillotine style ones since they are more precise and you are less likely to make mistakes with them. I've never filed cat nails, but have filed my dogs nails in the past, mostly because her nails have sharp edges that hurt me when she puts her paw on her lap after her nails have been clipped.

I have lots of nails to clip in my house since one of my cats is polydactyl so I have 24 kitten claws to clip when I do hers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kencolleen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the one of the left (Orange one) and I do not care for it. 

I also tried the guillotine ones..I found it splitting the nails more often than not~ Even with a new blade. 

I went to Petco and picked up a pair of scissor type. I love that one!

It is so much faster and easier to use. You can also easily see how close to the quick you are.