Best Christmas Tree Tips For Cat Safety?

permanentruby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this isn't the best forum! I couldn't really find a good place for this thread.

This will be my first year having a cat when I have my tree up. I use an artificial, pre-lit tree, and I think my ornaments are shatter-proof (I'll double check). But, I use those green hook things to hang them, and I worry that might be a danger to her if she knocks off the ornaments and tries to chew on the hangers. What should I use instead?

Also, any other tips would be great! I usually use garland, ornaments, and a tree topper.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
If you could mange it, I would tie a thick string or thin rope around the center of the tree and hook it into the wall.. just in case.

I really do not think there is a 'safe' Christmas tree for cats. It is kind of trial and error.
You have to see how interested you cat is, in the tree.

They do sell bitter apple spray as a deterrent .. some people have success with that.

Hang the non breakable, non-shimmery bulbs down on the bottom..

Some cats, do climb trees, chew on and eat the needles, bat at the ornaments, thinking they are toys for them.

Yes, I have found a past cat inside the tree, and chomping on the needles, and ornaments. We had to tie the tree down and put a hook in the window frame, to keep it upright. You could hear her at the tree, every night... and even when we were watching her... nothing worked.. we just kept yelling and spraying it ... nothing helped.

With my current guy, I have given up on a tree. I can just see him jumping on it, and batting at the ornaments, even chewing on them.

Good Luck!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No tinsel (if a cat eats it, the tinsel can tie it's self in a knot in your cat's intestine and kill your cat.)
Secure the tree firmly. Especially if your kitten is young enough to climb it. (About under 4 months or so.)
Because my punk is hyper, ever since I got him the bottom 3 feet are plastic bulbs, paper and cloth ornaments. If your cat can stand up & reach it, make sure it is not breakable.
My guys love the Christmas tree and investigate it every year :dancingblackcat::clapcat: