Best cat litter (UK)?

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was originally using cat San non clumping litter which did a good job of reducing odour but it meant that I had to completely empty and clean the tray at least once a week. So I bought some cheap clumping litter to see if that would be any good and I absolutely love it. I love that I'm scooping out all of the urine and poop so all I need to do is top up the tray and completely refresh it every now and then. However, because it's a cheap litter, it uses so much to clump. My sister said that she mixes in a walnut shell litter with hers as it uses less to clump. She's in the US though. I just wondered what clumping litter people here used and why?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will have to look into those brand you mentioned, thanks. From what I've seen, all three are available on zooplus which is good :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there fellow UK member. 
   I am probably one of the UK people using Tigerino Canada Unscented that @jcat  mentioned.  I also used Sanicat Professional before that - I could get it in Tesco and Zooplus but not sure if either still do it.  It looked more expensive than the other stuff the supermarkets carried here but was way better for clumping and odour control than the cheep stuff so lasted longer and it evened out cost wise- and it really was almost dust free!  The clumps broke up a bit though which meant it didn't last as long as it should have.  The Tigerino Canana unscented is a lot better I find, but it does seem to be variable depending on the cat and the types of odour you are sensitive to.

The choice on line is far better than the pet / supermarkets here in my experience, and I've had good experiences with both Amazon and ZooPlus.  Less so with some of the other on line suppliers (which I won't name here).  

There are quite a few useful litter reviews here on the site (in the review section) and it's worth taking a look then seeing which ones are available here in the UK.  Quite a few of them are as long as you go on line for them.  The decent clumping ones look expensive but as you use a lot less of them they tend to work out very reasonably.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The Tigerino is currently on sale on the German zooplus site, so I've ordered two bags of it to try. I've had the best experience with fine clumping litter.