Best Cat Litter For Multi Car House? Please Recommend One Effective And Economic

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have 5 litter boxes in the house, after tested on different litter, we finally chose one silica non clumping litter. I normally clear all the poo everyday , while in weekend I clean all the boxes, and change with new litter.

so far the result is fine, the main problem is the cost, esp recently they raised the price of the silica litter. The cheapest price I can find is about £5 per bag, about 5 L each bag, which mean each week it cost us £25, that is £1300 annually

I wonder anyone can suggest us a good litter that is effective and more economic, many thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not sure what you have available to you, but what I do is combine a less expensive litter option with my preferred litter, to help stretch the budget. Just be aware to try and keep dust as low as possible :) ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion , very good idea. the problem is, I could not find cheaper silica litter, even online. unless I mix the silica with other type of litter, such as clay, I do not think that will work? :=(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Silica is really expensive. Are you able to buy in bulk, that might reduce the cost. Try phoning large pet shops, it costs nothing to ask if they will sell in bulk at a cheaper price. For several years I have used Felight granules, buy 140ltr at a time, have it delivered and it is a lot cheaper than buying small quantities but the last lot I had was very dusty so 2 weeks ago I changed to wood chip. So far there is no dust and no smell plus it works out at 75% of the cost of Felight. Is there a reason why you choose silica?

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually buy silica about same quantity, but I do not get any discount. I just order 30 bags in one go, each bag is about 5L, used to cost about £4 per bag, now is £5, no matter I buy one bag or 100 bags :-(

Can I ask what kind of wood chip you use?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have to change it out every week? If you scoop regularly, silica litter can often last 2-4 weeks without changing. You could try not changing it for a while and see how long it can go.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in the UK and it is from a local pet store. It cost just over $7.5 for 30 ltrs.
My cats started to use it as soon as I put or down and its easy to clean.
View attachment 263794
Is this non clumping? I was told wood pellet broken down into sawdust when wet. in that case will it get smelly after a while??

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have to change it out every week? If you scoop regularly, silica litter can often last 2-4 weeks without changing. You could try not changing it for a while and see how long it can go.
I normally change it every week, otherwise I can always smell something :-(
maybe I am too sensitive?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this non clumping? I was told wood pellet broken down into sawdust when wet. in that case will it get smelly after a while??
It is non clumping. The pellets do break down to sawdust but I have not noticed any smell even when I scope it. So far I prefer it to the previous one I used. Perhaps you can buy small bags of a variety of litters and see which one you prefer.