Best Cat cleaning wipes?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted.  Our cat Frasier has had an ongoing wound issue for about a year, and we've finally had to put him in a large E-collar so that he can't reach the wound on his stomach (the wound was from over grooming).  That said, we're treating the wound daily, but I need to know which wipes to buy to clean the area around the wound as well as wipe his bum since he can't get to it in his E-collar.  I've been trying normal baby wipes, but they don't seem coarse enough to do the job.  

I'd appreciate any feedback you have on what products have worked for you.

Thanks!

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Petkin Kitty Wipes bought at WalMart. Inexpensive and effective. Store the unused in a sealed plastic baggie.....mine dried out within a few hours. 

(Comet yells like I'm torturing him when I try to wipe him down though)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies guys! I will check out both of those products.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle wipes, and I like them. They had the best reviews on Amazon when I was looking. I haven't tried any other brands to compare them with, though.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never used wipes a cat before. But my Jumbo was an outdoor cat and he had some wounds and skin issues that wouldn't heal. I used Neosporin ointment on his nose, and a hydrocortisone spray on his legs and tummy. These topical treatments didn't help him improve. What ultimately helped him heal was 3 or 4 steroid and antibiotic shots from the vet over the course of 6 months. I also had to give him an oral antibiotic daily for a week after the 2nd round. Staying indoors was a big help too.

Just curious if Fraser has been seen by a vet for the wound? I assume yes, because you have the E-collar. Which could be a big help, if he keeps the cone on. It just seems like a wound that hasn't healed in a year needs more attention that just cleaning it with wipes. 

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for the replies.

CatMinionJess- Yes, he has been to the vet, several times in fact. We have tried topical treatments, steroid shots, and then topical treatments combined with an e-collar.  The first collar was too short and he managed to still get to the wound, the second collar we tried was the "no bite" neck brace, but it was mis-sized and rubbed an area on his neck.  Upon the last visit to the vet, he recommended a larger e-collar and a topical spray that combines pain relief with antibacterial properties (it is for humans, but the vet said it would be OK).  If this does not work, he will have it sutured closed while he is having his teeth cleaned.  The vet also proscribed an herbal mood-altering supplement to give him to lessen his desire to groom the area.  

The "wound" started out as just an area he was over grooming, after all the hair was gone, he continued to groom and it became a sore (which is what we are dealing with now).  

The wipes are to clean around the wound and on his stomach to remove old medicine residue and to clean his bum, since he can't get to it to groom himself.  

What is so frustrating in all of this is that we've always taken every precaution with Frasier, not even letting him outside, etc.  and still, even with the best care possible, he has found a way to hurt himself lol.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon... I fell badly for him in his cone (he seems quite depressed).  

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understood about the wipes to clean his bottom with the cone on, now that makes sense about cleaning off the old medicine too. I'm sorry, it must be very stressful for you and the kitty. Jumbo had a steroid and antibiotic shot, like every other month starting in May through November before his sores got better. I think they alternated the specific steroid each round. That was a couple years ago now. I really hope Fraser starts feeling better soon! 

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  Our vet did one steroid shot, but didn't want to dose regularly due to possible negative reactions (not sure what).  We're hoping this will take care of things, but if not, they can suture it and he'll be in the cone afterwards until that heals.  I'm glad your cat recovered from his wounds and hopefully, I'll have good news to report to you guys too. :)