Best canned food/dry food brands?

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently feeding my cat twice a day. Canned food in the morning and dry food at night, Canned food is currently ZiwiPeak and Nutro for the dry food. I don't want to feed my cat the same brand every month. Can you recommend me some other brand?

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I feed my cat, Penny,  Fancy Feast and she loves that as did my two former cats many years ago.  One lived to be 20 years old and the other 15 so I feel this speaks well of the brand.  Of course there are many other contributing factors to longevity as well.  Penny who is part-feral is focused on her food so she does eat several times a day but then again, she is still young, very active and still growing.  I also feed her Science Diet kibble but I don't over do this as I feel it won't be healthy.  She also receives both Iams and Greenies dental treats but I don't even come close to the recommended dosage for her weight since they are caloric.  

elliot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would stick to one dry food. I have a rotation for the wet food so my cats don't get bored. The wet food rotation consists of Merrick, Nutro, Fancy Feast, Sheba, Authority, Fromm, and sometimes other brands like Canidae or Wellness if it's on sale.

shadowplay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may be a bit, um, excessive in what I feed my cats. But for dry food they get 2/3 Blue Wilderness (kitten formula, as they're 10 months) mixed with 1/3 Orijen Cat & Kitten and this is sometimes topped with Nature's Variety Rawboost Mixers (those freeze dried bites), usually the rabbit flavor.

As far as wet food goes, I usually keep about four kinds in rotation but they get a few different kinds: Fancy Feast, Blue Buffalo, Hill's, Nutro, etc and I may pick up some Ziwi Peak soon for them to try.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About fancy feast in the little cans. No matter what flavor it says on the front they all include chicken meal. Fancy Feast Pouches are the ingredients exactly what flavor it says it is.

I feed my guys:

Dry food: Taste of the Wild Canyon River (Salmon & Trout)

Wet Food: Natural Balance LID Venison, Fancy Feast Pouches Tuna/Tuna&Mackerel/Salmon & this month I'm trying them on Natures Variety Instinct Beef, which I'm hoping they will like.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe in a robust rotation.  It works for us and it's affordable.  She'll be 2 in August.  I got her from a rescue shelter and she's been very healthy from day one.  I keep several varieties of wet and dry on hand.  I've probably over done it a bit but there's always a place that needs pet food donations.

Here favorites are...

Wet:

Natural Value Sardine & Shrimp

Natural Value Chicken & Sardine

Natural Value Turkey & Giblets

Natural Value Beef & Chicken Loaf

Purina Beyond Turkey & Sweet Potato

Purina Pro Plan True Nature Beef

Sheba Chicken Entree

Sheba Turkey Entree

Dry:

Canidae Pure Elements Chicken

Evolve Chicken & Vegetable Maintenance

Purina Beyond Chicken & Oatmeal

Purina Beyond Superfood Blend (Herring)

Under the Sun Turkey Formula

dogtahs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you rotate the wet foods, do you give them the same type for a couple of days, or just give them a new variety each day?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem with most dry/wet foods is they include chicken meal. (Most cat treats do to!) So ready the ingredients lists pays off.  Once my house gets tented I'm going to trying taking away their dry food at night to get them to eat more wet food / get more protein variety. My cats are 10 & 11... my allergic cat did not show me he had an obvious food allergy until 8 months ago.  Before that I just thought he had hairball issues. If I was doing it over again, way more protein food variety :)

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I absolutely LOVE Simply Nourish at PetSmart.

Lots of different flavors and ingredients for whatever type of dry or wet you'd like to feed your cat. 

And, it's pretty affordable in comparison to a lot of brands.

Only downside is it is PetSmart specific. 

I'm also a fan of Wellness Core!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Performatrin is pretty good. Plus it comes in the 5oz cans. Only thing is its pet valu brand so if you don't have a pet valu nearby you can't get it.

I don't like the 3oz tins they are far to small.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I alternate among cans of wet food each day and try not to repeat the flavor not more than three times weekly.  I alternate between two brands of dry each day.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would alternate Indy's dry too but she is so darn picky about it.

90% of the foods she looks at me like "what is this turf?"

Last edited: