Best brush to prevent hairballs on medium haired cat

Maisie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya, I am unsure which type of brush would be the most successful at removing loose fur. my cat doesn't really get tangles so I only care about removing the most loose hair possible. I used a human hairbrush with bristles for fine hair on my cat just as an experiment but it didn't seem to do anything.

What would you recommend?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
For shorthaired to medium haired cats the Kong Zoom Groom is great. For longhaired cats, get some detangling or antistatic spray sold for pets, and put a rubber band between a medium toothed comb. Picks up the fur great, though you need to spray to prevent damage to the fur and static building up. Definitely something to be gentle with.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves, loves, loves the furminator. Doesn't much care for regular brushes, but will just lay down and purr for the furminator.

jersharocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kong Zoom Groom. My girls both have long hair (one has thin and wispy hair, the other has thicker and more dense hair) and that brush pulls out SOOOOOO much loose hair and they just purr the entire time I use it on them. I follow up with a greyhound comb or the Safari shedding comb to get the last bits. They are both shedding quite a bit right now so I brush them daily and I usually have a good pile of hair going by the end.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use this one on both my rabbit and cats, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VC8DQX2/?tag=thecatsite

It won't trap anything so fur will go flying but it really does a great job getting the shed out. I brushed Rocket this weekend and now a section of her tail that she'd let me brush looks like a bite was taken out of it. It doesn't touch skin just grabs loose hairs and it doesn't seem to pull hair at all if my cats reaction is anything to judge by. I can hide it in my hand which is a plus because she won't let me near her with any other type of brush (including the hand/glove types).