Best brush for a cat that sheds?

allenboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Allen is probably a medium-haired cat, definitely not short but also not long. He also sheds. A LOT. I can brush him once a day and get multiple balls of hair, but it never seems to help.

I have a slicker wire type of brush that I bought at Meijers, but is there any specific type that helps to grab the loose hair so it doesn't spread all over the apartment?

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat has a thick coat with an undercoating like a Maine Coon or a Siberian sort of cat then I would recommend a rake. I hate slicker brushes, the pointed little tines can really hurt against the cat skin.

Here is a link to the product I LOVE LOVE for my Domestic Medium hair!!! She has a THICK triple coat and it's great!!! It gets out all the fluffy under coat while leaving the upper guard hair in tact. It's worth every penny!! BUT Entirely Pets has them on sale while supplies last for about half price

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professi...7&sr=8-3-spell

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely a rake, I second that. My prior cat Marsh had long hair with undercoat, and only the rake was effective, few times a week.

Now, thank goodness, I have two short haired LaPerms without an undercoat! I had them for 4 months now, havent brushed them once! Do not mat, very little shedding... Amazing cats.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
furminator and a zoom groom

I have an NFC and that combination works great

aleicia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should try a combination of brushing and combing. One of our cats has been shedding a lot lately, the vet said it's due to the weather change, she is probably more sensitive than our other cat who isn't shedding as much. I have always used a brush with fine wire bristles, but I recently bought a comb that also has fine teeth. The comb in combination with the brush does a really good job.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyMom4

If your cat has a thick coat with an undercoating like a Maine Coon or a Siberian sort of cat then I would recommend a rake. I hate slicker brushes, the pointed little tines can really hurt against the cat skin.

Here is a link to the product I LOVE LOVE for my Domestic Medium hair!!! She has a THICK triple coat and it's great!!! It gets out all the fluffy under coat while leaving the upper guard hair in tact. It's worth every penny!! BUT Entirely Pets has them on sale while supplies last for about half price

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professi...7&sr=8-3-spell
I will HAVE to tell my sister about that. She has a short hair cat that sheds like no other animal I have seen. Her coat is incredibly thick and gets mats, even though its short...but yeah. Looks perfect. Thanks!

soxthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would get the furminator, they have a cat version for long hair cats. We use it on our 2 Siberians and they love it (ok one loves it and one tolerates it) but it gets the job done. We haven't found anything better. It's a bit pricey but worth it!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would stay away from a furminator - it cuts hair out.

I had a short-hair cat that almost matted and objected to being combed, but he loved a slicker.  The other really useful think, in my view, is a metal-tooth comb.  You need the right comb for the cat - I've seen ones with wide-spaced teeth, closer teeth, and alternate long & short teeth.

You have to be sure to groom right through to the skin.  I've combed a cat with a very greasy coat for a friend that runs a cattery, and I found that starting at the head and doing tiny sections tail to head worked.  If you comb head to tail then unless you start at the tail, you are combing the fur you have got out back into the coat and into whatever is already there.

I got a huge amount of fur out, a dingy-looking cat came out with a shiny black coat and loads of dandruff!

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this brush!  I use it on our longhair girl several times a week, and it gets all the undercoat out so easily.  She loves her "spa time"!  (and it's amazing how much less black cat hair is on our light beige carpet)  My husband used it on our shorthair girl who was matted all over.  It's amazing how much undercoat came off of her (and how easily it got the mats out).