Best Brands Of Wet Cat Food

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried weaning my cats off of kibble and started feeding them Newman's Organic canned food- chicken formulation + Wegman's canned cat food. I noticed in 2-3 days my cats coats started looking dry and feeling rough. When I looked at the ingredients in the kibble I was feeding them (Nature's Variety - chicken) and the one they were previously fed at the pet store (Performatrin Potato & Salmon), both had omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, but the organic food did not. I ended up returning the unused cans, put them back on Fancy Feast for a short spell mixed with N.V. kibble. Their coats were back to being shiny and silky within two days.

I'm not asserting that dry food is preferred over wet food or that all organic cat food's are a gimmick. But at the end of the day, it takes a lot more than something being labelled "organic" for it to be healthy for your cats. It seems like this quest for the perfect cat diet will be a long one..

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try something for me but mostly for your cats and you because you love them and want them to live a long HEALTHY life. go to www.cornucopiapetfoods.com . Buy just one case of the cat food and the 2 supplements and feed it to your cats. I honestly believe that you will be thrilled with the results. If you have ANY questions you can write to Dr. Broderick from the web site and get answers to your questions. The food is expensive but we would NEVER consider eating garbage and we really do not want to feed garbage to our precious pets. Commercial pet foods are made using dead pets from 'kill shelters' and 'road kill'. When I found that out I was just about sick! I went into my pantry and threw away every can of cat food we had! NO wonder it is cheap! They should give it away! They are getting rich on the health of the pets we love with all of our hearts! My husband said so 1 day a week we will eat sandwiches or soup so that our cats get GOOD food! He told me "I will not sit here eating decent food and feed our precious kitties garbage!". PLEASE just try it!????

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Try something for me but mostly for your cats and you because you love them and want them to live a long HEALTHY life. go to www.cornucopiapetfoods.com . Buy just one case of the cat food and the 2 supplements and feed it to your cats. I honestly believe that you will be thrilled with the results. If you have ANY questions you can write to Dr. Broderick from the web site and get answers to your questions. The food is expensive but we would NEVER consider eating garbage and we really do not want to feed garbage to our precious pets. Commercial pet foods are made using dead pets from 'kill shelters' and 'road kill'. When I found that out I was just about sick! I went into my pantry and threw away every can of cat food we had! NO wonder it is cheap! They should give it away! They are getting rich on the health of the pets we love with all of our hearts! My husband said so 1 day a week we will eat sandwiches or soup so that our cats get GOOD food! He told me "I will not sit here eating decent food and feed our precious kitties garbage!". PLEASE just try it!????
Well what do you expect people to do with roadkill and other dead meats? You can't just throw it all in a landfill. Its better to recycle it and make animal feed out of it. Feed it to cattle pigs and maybe sometimes it ends up in pet food. What else would you suggest we do with meat waste? Stop anthropomortizing your pets-they aren't people. Cats and dogs can eat "garbage". They survived off of table scraps (out food garbage) for years. Cats arnt people.

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd share a list I compiled about this. Using information found on the internet, I looked for wet cat food that had over 40% protein, 20-50% fat, and less than 10% carbohydrates. I ultimately ended up with these options:
IMG_9405.PNG

IMG_9406.PNG

IMG_9407.jpg

Hope this helps some people! As you can see, I did some color coding of where to get stuff in my area and worked out some price information. My feeding information is based on the idea of feeding 30 calories per pound of cat per day. Oh, and the ** after some foods mean that I particularly like those ones because I've heard some slightly negative things about feeding mostly foods with fish and those are all poultry.

Last edited:

Cinnabun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only if the label says 'animal by products'. Not all do.
According to the Association of American Feed Controls Officials (AAFCO) meat by products are defined as follows.

Meat by-products is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially de-fatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto.”

To put it another way, it is most of the parts of the animal other than the muscle tissue, including the internal organs and bones. It includes some of the parts people eat (such as livers, kidneys and tripe), but also parts that are not typically consumed by humans in the US. Some by-products, like udders and lungs are not deemed "edible" by USDA for human consumption, but they can be perfectly safe and nutritious for animals not inclined to be swayed by the unappealing nature of these parts of animals. As with "meat," unless the by-products are derived from cattle, pigs, sheep or goats, the species must be identified.
Source: http://www.aafco.org/consumers/what-is-in-pet-food

What is the source for this label standing for dead animals from kill shelters? Is there an investigative study substantiating this or just some internet folklore?

Chris Jordan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My current favorite (and my cat's) is tiki pets cat food in the Kitchen Fowl Ball. Most of Tiki's are 0% carbs, besides the varieties with rice. Wellness natural is another cat food I've come across and strongly prefer as it contains only premium and all natural ingredients and 100% grain free wet canned food.

Cats should not have grains as part of their diet. It isn't something they would ever eat or have eaten in the wild. The top quality wet cat food brands few listed here (5 Best Cat Food of 2018 You Can Buy - CriticThoughts.com) are extremely high in meat (supermarket brands, practically without exception, contain no more than 4% meat. Cats are carnivores - the more meat, the better) and both are grain free.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The top quality wet cat food brands few listed here (5 Best Cat Food of 2018 You Can Buy - CriticThoughts.com) are extremely high in meat (supermarket brands, practically without exception, contain no more than 4% meat. Cats are carnivores - the more meat, the better) and both are grain free.
I'm not sure if FF , Hills science, meowmix...can be called the best wet food as listed in the link.
My cat doesn't eat Tiki. Tried. Looks like they have many fish flavor cans.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"(Fancy feast) Not only do they use real proteins and no artificial flavors"
FF does contain artificial flavors.

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"(Fancy feast) Not only do they use real proteins and no artificial flavors"
FF does contain artificial flavors.
Not only do they use artifical flavors, they also use dyes (completely unnecessary to cat nutrition)- "added color" and Red 3 a known animal carcinogen, "meat by-products" as well as menadione bisulfite, which is still sort of up in the air in terms of quality.

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats should not have grains as part of their diet. It isn't something they would ever eat or have eaten in the wild.
Welllll cats would have eaten grains (as well as carb-rich plant material) as their prey did subsist on these foods and which would have been in their stomachs then eaten by cats. So cats are equipped to handle them in small quantities, just not high ones. It's one of the reasons cheap kibble is so bad for cats.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
According to my internal medicine vet my cat had to have some carbs as she is older and starting with kidney failure issues a bit but she did worse when I added in sweet potatoes and pumpkin so now I only add 3/4 tablespoon pumpkin once a day in her cat food. High protein is hard on the kidneys. She still has pancreatitis so I am in the middle of food allergy testing. There is a new type of saliva allergy testing along with blood testing which I am trying. I still think she does better with unique protein. She can't use chicken,duck or maybe now venison. What is really frustrating is the number of cat foods that add guar gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan and agar agar. Guar gum is a legume and my cat has had issues with chick pea and maybe peas. I read that carrageenan and if I recall correctly xanthan gum are polysaccharides which according to my own internal medicine doctor can cause cancer. Why is heck are they adding this crap?! Cats like juice and don't need it thickened and they cannot taste sweets!!! I'll let you know how it goes as far as her food testing. Another pet peeve of my are dents in canned cat foods. A tiny dent can allow air and bacteria to develop and is too risky for my IBD cat. Lotus has a problem causing two little dents on nearly all the bottom edges of their cans. I am getting two to four usable cans per case of twenty four. Chewys refunds me but I am tired of sending back food and not having enough to feed her. Royal Canin and Natural Balance had similar issues. Very frustrating.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki cat puka puka luau chicken and koolina luau chicken, have a few things im not fond of, such as the vitamin k. But its about the only food with no thickeners in it that i have found, and that my guys will eat, they also like their fish flavors. :oops: Finding one without chicken, duck and venison, or thickeners, that would be hard! Unless you feed all fish, lots of fish food, but then you have that problem. :doh:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was feeding my Ragdolls Primal then switched to can food Weruva to save money a bit, now I am thinking of going back to Primal. Kibble and Can foods causes poo and urine to smell to high heavens!!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if its some of the gums or something in the food that causes yours to have smelly problems? I know one of my girls likes nutro the minced chicken and it causes her to have stinky poo. other foods do not, something about that one. one of my boys if he has peas or potato and he gets smelly gas and poo. nothing else seems to bother him.
They can all eat Dr. Elseys dry, Farmina dry, the pumpkin line. Any of the Tiki wet foods, no thickeners, and the Almo nature complete foods, which do have a little thickner, and they have basically no smell to to their urine, or poo. My guys use to like weruva, but i think they got tired of it, they ate it for a long time, then just quit. All Weruva has some thickeners, some weruva has a lot. Maybe you can find a wet with no gums or thickeners and see if that helps, if you dont want to immediately go back to primal?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading on several other forums and someone mentioned that fish in can foods causes more (poo/urine) odor. Weruva is mostly fish based. I have many cans of it. I will only use it as a topper now.