Best Brands Of Wet Cat Food

David1953

My current furbaby, Simba
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize this is going to probably cause some debate, but want to get the best wet food brand you can get for an adult cat. I have read several articles on this and have so many different answers, which I guess is to be expected in a controversial subject as this. I know I want the cat food to be all meat, no fillers and by products, a good water content around 75%, has taurine in it and of course grain free and no veggies. Cats don't need veggies so why add that? Anyway, since there are so many brands out there, which brand(s) have the requirements I have listed above, if any. I do not use dry cat food since it can cause a multitude of urinary problems especially in male cats. I have used Natural Balance, Wellness, and Blue Buffalo in the past. Thanks in advance for your help.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Curious myself about the answers but I believe the best would be one of the raw ones u get out if the cooler. I buy the little cups for mine that have the stuff in gravy as a treat when they go with me to the pet store and bob always loves them. I can't afford to feed all 6 of my cats that though. Ever thought of going to a raw diet? I have seen where ppl feed just feeder mice (the kind u purchase that don't have disease) and that would be terribly gross (terrified of mice) but obviously a complete and balanced meal lol.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like you may be more interested in dehydrated raw food. Dehydrated Cat Food - Free shipping at Chewy.com or freeze dried Freeze-Dried Cat Food - Free shipping at Chewy.com. A lot of the dehydrated/freeze dried foods have minimal ingredients and you control the amount of water by re-hydrating prior to serving.

The hardest aspect of your request is the fillers and byproducts. Most commercial food has those not only for the monetary aspect of reducing costs but also because there is a still a misconception that cats benefit from vegetables. Add on that some of those are there for the fiber or vitamins they provide to round out the food without chemical additives.

If you do a limited ingredient search on Chewy you can find some that may qualify All Stages / Limited Ingredient Diet / Wet Food / Food / Cat - Free Shipping at Chewy.com but the one with the smallest amount of added products is Evangers. BUT it has no taurine listed and would need some sort of supplement to balance it out. Essentially doing searched for limited ingredients will help narrow down foods that don't have a ton of added ingredients. You do have to be careful because some that end up being just meat and water are also lacking in vitamins and minerals that cats need. So make sure to read packages that the food is a complete meal and not labeled as a treat or snack or topper.

You could check on our raw forums (Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food) for homemade raw or try one of the froze raw premade foods. Companies like Rad Cat Raw Diet Premium Raw Food For Cats sell prepackaged raw meals that are very high in meat and without the unneeded additives. If you do decide to go fully raw it is important to be mindful of your cats nutritional needs and do so with a lot of research to ensure you aren't sorting your cat on a required nutrient.

Edit: I forgot about Only Natural Pet Shredded Canned Cat Food the Only Natural Pet brand foods are actually fairly decent.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're wanting no fruits or veggies there's Dr Elsey's cleanprotein
Food Archives - Dr. Elsey's
But I haven't tried my girls on their canned. I like home cooked raw because it's most appropriate, but Yue has been eating Nature's variety instinct duck and chicken cans. I know they put peas in them. I haven't pushed her to try raw like my boys, but I did get a sample of EZComplete to mix into some shredded cooked chicken that I don't have any feedback on yet either.
I also am going to get some freeze dried samples from The Honest Kitchen and see if she gives a hoot about it.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might check the ingredients on Fancy Feast--Classic only. It does have by-products but I think by products are not bad at all. They are certainly part of a natural diet in the wild. Check out some articles on by products and draw your own conclusion. My cat thrives on this food.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Naturals (both their canned line and their freeze dried), Ziwipeak, are my top picks. Then I would add freeze dried raw Feline Naturals (as mentioned above), Primal, Stella and Chewy, Northwest Naturals, and Fresh is Best.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I want the cat food to be all meat, no fillers and by products, a good water content around 75%, has taurine in it and of course grain free and no veggies. Cats don't need veggies so why add that?
Veggies are added partly as a filler and partly to appeal to a Human's perception of what a healthy food is. A lot of people have no clue about pet nutrition and pet food companies know that and use marketing tatics touting healthy veggies and such.

The only all meat canned foods out there are only supplement / treat type foods. The closest to all meat you can get that is still a complete balanced diet are 96% meat canned foods like Wild Calling and Koha.

The only way to feed an all meat diet with zero fillers is to either feed raw or home cooked. Making raw or home cooked from scratch isn't hard to do. Many people find it super easy to use a pre-mix with meat of their choice.

kikilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure you're concerned about budget? I've done some "research" (yeah, I'm crazy good at The Google) and it turns out that one brand I was hoping would show up as ok budget wet food is Trader Joe's. Natural Balance is pretty ok too. My very picky cats (whaaaat?? a picky cat??!) LOVE the Natural Balance foods. Oceanfish rules! The strays I take care of like the TJ's foods. I do the wet/dry thing. Natural Balance or Wellness wet and Nutro dry.
Cat Food Breakdown: The Good, The Bad, & The Heinous

*I just re-read your post and see that you likely won't want either of the ones I just mentioned. My bad.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I send a question to Chewy about Evangers and they said even though its not listed all their food has taurine in it, but they also just had a massive recall.

You could look at Tiki Cat.
I know ziwipeak us good and theres one brand that starts with an A but they are too expensive for me

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize this is going to probably cause some debate, but want to get the best wet food brand you can get for an adult cat. I have read several articles on this and have so many different answers, which I guess is to be expected in a controversial subject as this. I know I want the cat food to be all meat, no fillers and by products, a good water content around 75%, has taurine in it and of course grain free and no veggies. Cats don't need veggies so why add that? Anyway, since there are so many brands out there, which brand(s) have the requirements I have listed above, if any. I do not use dry cat food since it can cause a multitude of urinary problems especially in male cats. I have used Natural Balance, Wellness, and Blue Buffalo in the past. Thanks in advance for your help.
I suggest 'this' food and reading this book hands down! "Cornucopia Pet Food". 100% organic and 100% human consumable. It IS the only food I will feed my cat! ONLY!

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Fancy Feast Classic Pates are all meat and all of the Nutro Natural Choice canned foods are all meat, although the sliced version has some egg product in it to help thicken the pork-based broth. These are what I feed my two and they love them.

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Fancy Feast Classic Pates are all meat and all of the Nutro Natural Choice canned foods are all meat, although the sliced version has some egg product in it to help thicken the pork-based broth. These are what I feed my two and they love them.
I am sorry to tell you that Fancy Feast Classic Pate is what I was feeding my cat that was killing her. All "meat" what kind of "meat"? Is it human consumable? no Is is 100% organic? no Do you know that yes, it may be meat but ALL Commercial, canned pet foods are allowed and DO use meat from dead pets from "kill shelters"! See that phrase "meat by products". NOT what I am going to feed my pet. It is killing our pets. FACT: household pets lived longer when our parents and grandparents fed them tables scraps NOT commercial "pet foods". Modern "pet foods" are killing our pets way before their time. I do not expect you to believe me, read the book by Dr. R. Geoffrey Broderick, "Compassion For Pets". He has been a PRACTICING VETERINARIAN AND a world renowned expert in nutrition. He has devoted his life to improving the wellbeing and lifespan of our pets. His foods have NO added chemicals, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives sweeteners or sugars. Packed with nutrients, all-organic, and are ALL human-grade. That is what all of us want for our pets. We all love our pets like our children. We would not feed dead cats and dogs to our children. Please just read his book. Or even just e-mail him with your questions.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My current favorite (and my kitten's) is Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen Fowl Ball. It's a high protein, low carb food. There are a few gums but no veggies and no fillers like potatoes or peas. We also like Against the Grain's chicken and cheese flavor and chicken and pumpkin. They, too, are high protein, low carb with no other fillers aside from the cheese and pumpkin listed. I prefer the pumpkin as my boy has digestive issues and I figure it doesn't hurt.

Mary Ann P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please, please, please, no wonder there are so many recalls if you understood the absolute GARBAGE the law ALLOWS the pet food industry to put in your pets food! PLEASE read "Compassion For Pets" by Dr. R. Geoffrey Broderick. Or at least check check out his website cornucopiapetfoods.com

Email him with your questions. He was great about getting back to me! He has spent his life caring for and about our Pets!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

David1953

Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate ALL the input and responses to this thread. After starting this thread, I started to research about what a good cat food should have and what it shouldn't. I was shocked at what some of these supposedly 'Excellent' cat foods have in them...things like Carrageenan, bone meal, guar gum, and just plain garbage such as diseased dead animal parts, meat by-products, feathers, etc. and so many veggies that should not even be in a cat's diet. And not to mention the artificial colors and other junk I don't even know what they are and need a chemist degree to know what it is. Really opens your eyes, at least it did for me. My first job is to go to my pet store with my list of no-no's for ingredients and find some that have very little or none of the above crap in them. At least with all of your help, I have a starting point to some brands and also raw food and freeze dried cat food that I didn't even know they have. THANKS TO YOU ALL!

David1953

Young Cat
Purraise
Checked out the Cornucopia website and hopefully can find this food in my pet supply store. Thanks for the suggestion!

David1953

Young Cat
Purraise
I saw that site and it was a shocker...some of the best brands were on that recall list...Wellness, Natural Balance. How criminal that this stuff even can happen!

David1953

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. I have used Natural Balance in the past, but switched after my cat got sick and then wouldn't eat it anymore after she got better. Been doing a lot of research and have a good handle on what I am looking for when reading can labels.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best quality food in the world isn't so great if the cat won't eat it. You can't make a cat eat what you want it to. Some cats will go on a hunger strike if they don't like the food and that can cause health problems.