Benzalkonium Chloride

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was at my cousin’s wedding this evening, and I sliced my finger open on a a sharp plastic edge of a chair. The hotel staff gave me some disinfectant wipes and a bandage. I used three wipes, slapped a band-aid on, and done! But I then noticed the wipes weren’t alcohol wipes. They were something called Benzalkonium Chloride, which before now I’d never heard of. Well, I went about my night, eating, laughing, conversing with family. My hands, which had the wipes well soaked into them, were all over me. My face, running through my hair. Bottom line, I feel like that stuff is on me. I came home and redressed the wound with hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin, and ideally I’d like to wait 24 hours before showering. I found this article about the chemical and it’s effect on cats:

Benzalkonium chloride | International Cat Care

So I know it’s not good for them. But will it harm my kitty if it was on me or my hair? She rubs all over me. I know it’s different than her getting directly into a bottle of it or whatnot, I just want to know if I’m safe to touch her if it’s still anywhere on me. Especially my arms, face and hair.

Apologies for being neurotic. Again.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like some pretty nasty stuff for cats to be around, from reading the link you provide. I wouldn't want my cat anywhere near me. Is there a reason you don't want to shower for 24 hours?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Showers are particularly hard for me with OCD. They can take every ounce of energy I have and drain me of any furthur the whole day. They take over an hour. I’m so setindary that I ususally only need one every 2-3 days, and I had just taken one before the wedding. It was well more than another hour or two before I got home to my kitty after using the wipes. They had long evaporated. I washed my hands thourougly, and even my cell phone. I also changed every once of clothing I’d worn during administration. My only concern was if I had brushed my hands against my face or through my hair, then her sleeping on me or my bed. If I had brushed my hands through my hair or touched any part of me before washing my hands at home, the stuff was evaporated already. She’s slept in my bed and is fine. I’ve petted and kissed her a bunch. But I have to admit, reading these replies have set me off worrying again, because I still haven’t showered. I’m taking one after I get some sleep.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I’m taking one after I get some sleep.
Hi!, do that, and just keep an eye on your furbaby.
If you're not seeing anything odd in her behavior, (like drooling/salivating, lethargy or that she isn't eating as much) she should be fine :)