Bengal mix?

Bajitheadventurecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am a first time cat owner and I think my boy Baji might have some Bengal in him, and I wanted to know your opinions. Baji is almost 9 months old and everyone tells me he's a weird cat compared to theirs. He's a very active kitty, he loves going on hikes and is bursting with energy all the time and has gotten very vocal as he grows. He's super smart and I've trained him to do a ton of tricks. I think he's a long cat at 18inchs from nose to base of tail and 15inches paws to tip of ears and about 9.6lbs the last time I weight him. His back legs are raised higher than his front and I think his fur has the glitter gene as it's pretty sparkly on the light and his fur is almost chinchilla/bunny soft. He's got the black tipped tail but other than that he's got tabby markings. I met him and his brother in a foster home for a rescue and his brother is a fully black kitty with some kind of faint brownish black markings. I plan on inevitably getting Baji a dna test for his breed and for what he's possible at risk of genetically but I wanted to know what other cat people thought. The photos range in age from 4 months to now almost 9months Thank you 😊

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You have a very pretty Domestic Shorthair cat. The tabby pattern is one that does not occur in Bengals, but is common in many other breeds and the random cat population. The personality traits you listed are not unique to Bengals, or any other specific breed, even if they are different from your friends' cats. You can just enjoy your special boy without attaching any labels to him.

I wouldn't count on DNA testing for determining the breed. DNA testing is good for learning if your cat has the potential for heart or kidney disease or some other critical health issues. I haven't heard of any tests that are accurate for breed.

One of my friend's had her Maine Coon tested just for fun. This is a cat with a known pedigree of more that 5 generations of purebred Maine Coons. The results came back with 5 or 6 different possible breeds, none of them Maine Coon.:lol:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have a nice prettie, but whom is a very nice, agile domestic... I suppose theorethically he COULD have some ancestry, as striped tabby dominates over spotted and classic tabby - bengals have variations of these tabby genes. But why go over creek to fetch water, as the proverb says??

I suppose you think it may be bengal because of the spotted belly? Actually it only confirms prettie is a tabby; as many different tabbies sports spotted belly. Its the sides and back which is important to decide the pattern.

His pattern will be described as blue / grey / diluted mackerel tabby with white, the breed is domestic shorthair. Blue grey diluted means the same, different people use different words to describe this coloring.

Ps. These big ears DO hints some Ancestor... Im not sure which, but surely not bengal. :)