Bengal learned to open the fridge! ARGH!

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So a couple of days ago I get up to go to work and find the chicken backs left over from the dog's dinner the night before are strewn down my hallway, chewed on and half eaten. Upon entering the kitchen my fridge is half open. I curse myself for not shutting it all the way, close it, and clean up the mess.

Well, this morning, I get up to see a chicken foot in my hallway. Sure enough, the leftover chicken feet are scattered all over the house again, most reduced to nothing more than well-gnawed nubs of bone. I let the dogs out to clean up the mess (they can find hidden chicken feet much faster than I can) and found the fridge open again. This time, I was sure I had closed it securely the night before because I remember leaning on it after I closed it to pull a sticker off my sock that I had stepped on.

Sure enough, after leashing up my boxer to take her to the bathroom, I peeked in the kitchen and there is my bengal, working the door open with his claws.

ARGH!

So I planted a heavy box of books in front of the fridge and now I have to go and buy baby locks for it to keep the cat out. Hopefully between then and now he won't figure out how to open the freezer where the REST of the raw meat is...

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ravyn

So a couple of days ago I get up to go to work and find the chicken backs left over from the dog's dinner the night before are strewn down my hallway, chewed on and half eaten. Upon entering the kitchen my fridge is half open. I curse myself for not shutting it all the way, close it, and clean up the mess.

Well, this morning, I get up to see a chicken foot in my hallway. Sure enough, the leftover chicken feet are scattered all over the house again, most reduced to nothing more than well-gnawed nubs of bone. I let the dogs out to clean up the mess (they can find hidden chicken feet much faster than I can) and found the fridge open again. This time, I was sure I had closed it securely the night before because I remember leaning on it after I closed it to pull a sticker off my sock that I had stepped on.

Sure enough, after leashing up my boxer to take her to the bathroom, I peeked in the kitchen and there is my bengal, working the door open with his claws.

ARGH!

So I planted a heavy box of books in front of the fridge and now I have to go and buy baby locks for it to keep the cat out. Hopefully between then and now he won't figure out how to open the freezer where the REST of the raw meat is...
He's trying to tell you ....he wants the good stuff the dogs are getting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*giggle* He GETS the good stuff the doggies are getting...at least sometimes. He and my little black six month old DSH seem obsessed with raw food. I treated them last night to a bunch of chicken hearts and they gobbled them down. The other cats ate them too, but seem more picky and less gung-ho about it.

I'd love to have the cats all on a raw diet but with eight cats and some of them being so picky (will eat liver but not heart, will eat chicken but not liver, will eat this but not that) its very difficult. One of my cats absolutely refuses to eat ANYTHING raw whatsoever.

What I'm thinking I might do though, since he and Izzy are obviously so into it that they'll break into the fridge (thieves!
) is just seperate those two into the bathrooms and feed them raw every other day during meal times, and letting them have the kibble with the other cats on the off days. I don't mind them eating the raw food (in fact, I'm glad they liked the chicken legs so much), I just don't want them breaking into the fridge to get at it!

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my god that is sooo funny!!!
actually my cat is on a raw diet and every time i go into the kitchen (even after she's eaten), she still sits there watching me and licks her lips!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- I thought I had it bad. My little sweet Iris taught her sister how to open cabinets. Needless to say, everything is now baby-locked. But a fridge is much worse than cabinets!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is too funny!!

I have a solution!..you'll have to do what my mom did with one of her kitties..teach him to close the fridge door for a treat!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joanne511

- I thought I had it bad. My little sweet Iris taught her sister how to open cabinets. Needless to say, everything is now baby-locked. But a fridge is much worse than cabinets!
My precious Corkie used to open cabinets. My Mom would discover them open and yell at me for not closing them. I kept telling her I didn't do it so she said "Well then I guess we have ghosts"! THEN I saw Corkie sticking her claws in and opening them. I called out to my Mom, "Here's your ghost!" LOL!

Mom never yelled at me again!