Bengal Information

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

The female is a Bengal/DSH mix but definitely has the markings. So if both parents have the marks, I imagine all the kittens will.
And this is where the genetics step in. What marks are we talking about here? Marbled, regular spotted, rosettes? Brown (black), silver, snow (tonkinese or burmese lynx point)?

The sire being an F4 makes me assume there are some 'random' cats (DSHs or other breeds) in his pedigree which were used in his lines. The dam being a moggie could have basically anything in hers. This means there are no guarantees that the kittens will have strinking patterns and glitter. The kittens could even be just solid black (maybe even blue) or look like your average brown tabby DSH or DLH.

I hope your friend knows that it's very expensive to breed..tests for Bengals include FeLV, FIV, bloodgroup, HCM and PRA, perhaps even some others which I'm unaware of since I'm not into Bengals (Brits are 'my thing').

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

And this is where the genetics step in. What marks are we talking about here? Marbled, regular spotted, rosettes? Brown (black), silver, snow (tonkinese or burmese lynx point)?

The sire being an F4 makes me assume there are some 'random' cats (DSHs or other breeds) in his pedigree which were used in his lines. The dam being a moggie could have basically anything in hers. This means there are no guarantees that the kittens will have strinking patterns and glitter. The kittens could even be just solid black (maybe even blue) or look like your average brown tabby DSH or DLH.

I hope your friend knows that it's very expensive to breed..tests for Bengals include FeLV, FIV, bloodgroup, HCM and PRA, perhaps even some others which I'm unaware of since I'm not into Bengals (Brits are 'my thing').
I think he said she is marbled. The picture below is the male. I'm willing to bet even if they don't all come out like that, he'd probably keep them if he wasn't able to rehome them. I would likely take one if it was different/unique looking regardless because I wouldn't see him stuck with them all. I do hope at least one comes out with spots, or marbled because I've wanted one for sooo long and as I said, they aren't easy to come by around here for whatever reason.

He is aware of the costs and he definitely has the means to do it. They (he and his wife) certainly paid a small fortune for the male.

Don't mind the "flying action"
This pic was from a few months ago.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's young still! Probably still under a year old? Does your friend know about the tomcat behaviors and characteristics he'll start to develop as he gets older? Is he prepared to deal with that? I would hate for his kitty to lose his home or his life because he starts doing what comes naturally to toms.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

PLEASE PLEASE tell him not to breed. There are so many cats out there that already need homes... Even Bengals...

Oh I know. But oddly enough, I have never seen a Bengal in a shelter around here. In fact, I've yet to see anything any rare/expensive/unique cats. For some reason, in this area, despite the large number of strays, people seem to favor "different cats".

Edit: Actually, if I see a Bengal in any of the shelters in my area before then, I will adopt one.
Before anyone says that they can find a specific breed in a rescue they need to be aware it depends on what part of the world you are in. In other words just because a breed is common in your area/state does not mean this is world wide. I know that for a fact.

My question is if you getting a kitten does not pan out can you "just pay" the shipping fee's on a F5 or below Bengal to get it into Canada? Since there are many F5 and SBT Bengals for adoption in the USA.

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Yes, as household pets, but not as Bengals.
Thank you for the information.

I think he said she is marbled. The picture below is the male. I'm willing to bet even if they don't all come out like that, he'd probably keep them if he wasn't able to rehome them. I would likely take one if it was different/unique looking regardless because I wouldn't see him stuck with them all. I do hope at least one comes out with spots, or marbled because I've wanted one for sooo long and as I said, they aren't easy to come by around here for whatever reason.

He is aware of the costs and he definitely has the means to do it. They (he and his wife) certainly paid a small fortune for the male.

Don't mind the "flying action"
This pic was from a few months ago.
He is a very handsome looking boy. I can not wait to see his babies

Originally Posted by Willowy

Oh, he's young still! Probably still under a year old? Does your friend know about the tomcat behaviors and characteristics he'll start to develop as he gets older? Is he prepared to deal with that? I would hate for his kitty to lose his home or his life because he starts doing what comes naturally to toms.
I would hope the breeder knows a Tom Cat/whole cat sprays.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think he said she is marbled. The picture below is the male.
Without knowing their pedigrees, I'll say that the kittens would likely be spotted tabbies unless the sire carries blotched (classic) tabby.
(Basically I came up with 56 different possibilities when assuming what the parents carry..
)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I would hope the breeder knows a Tom Cat/whole cat sprays.
This guy isn't a breeder. Even if his breeder friend says "oh, tomcats spray", he might not understand the extent or severity of what exactly that means. Your average pet owner is going to freak out when the tom starts peeing on everything in sight, when the stove smells like a litterbox (I don't know why sprayers like stoves so much), when their house smells so bad nobody will visit them. A lot of casual breeders end up getting rid of their toms for this reason, and of course most of them end up dead because nobody else wants a sprayer either.

I just hope he's prepared to deal with that so he doesn't end up getting rid of the cat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly why all my kittens are altered before placement

Has the breeder been consulted? I doubt they would allow a pet to be used in a moggie breeding program and if they are allowing it should be reported to their registering body

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This guy isn't a breeder. Even if his breeder friend says "oh, tomcats spray", he might not understand the extent or severity of what exactly that means. Your average pet owner is going to freak out when the tom starts peeing on everything in sight, when the stove smells like a litterbox (I don't know why sprayers like stoves so much), when their house smells so bad nobody will visit them. A lot of casual breeders end up getting rid of their toms for this reason, and of course most of them end up dead because nobody else wants a sprayer either.

I just hope he's prepared to deal with that so he doesn't end up getting rid of the cat.
The picture I posted was from May. His wife told me the cat peed on everything. All their clothes, bed, furniture. She said he did that a month or two ago but hasn't done it since.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are plenty of Bengal rescues within the US that I see but I am struggling to find one anywhere in Nova Scotia. I see a small number of breeders but no rescues and I can't find a single one for adoption around here.
Oh, oops, I didn't realize you weren't from the US. :p My bad.
Other countries don't have the issues that the US does with strays/unwanted cats, but still I wouldn't encourage the type of behavior that started it all.

He doesn't have the female yet, so I don't have any pictures of her. I'm pretty sure he just wants to breed them for people he knows that REALLY want a Bengal style cat. (They will not be given to just anyone. Only to people he is sure are dedicated to the well being of the animal.) He assured me the parents will be spayed/neutered after the first litter.

Will an F4 Bengal bred to a regular DSH produce "Bengal-type" kittens? I guess I don't know enough about Bengals to know that. I know that if you breed a Siamese to a DSH, you sometimes end up with very un-Siamese-like kittens (although they're usually noisy, lol). It would be a shame if he just ended up producing normal-looking kittens and ended up not being able to find homes for them.
Yea, idk, breeding a half-Bengal with another only slightly bengal sounds like a perfect way to end up with all regular cats and no homes for any of them.

If I feel like he is doing anything really wrong, or doesn't vaccinate the kittens and care for them properly, I just won't take one and I will let him know what I think. But I see the way he cares for his cats now and he loves them to bits and is very proud of that.
That's great and all that you would tell him how you feel, but that doesn't fix the fact that he would be told Afterwards when there are already kittens born and without homes, proper care, etc.

Yea, it wasn't mentioned till now but his cat will not be able to live in the house soon. When you bring females around, he'll start spraying everywhere and if your friend has as much money as you made it sound like he has, he probably has some pretty nice things he wouldn't like to be ruined with cat pee...

Sorry to ruin the fun and what-not, but breeding should be taken seriously and not just because it'd make 'cool cats' and because he thinks he has homes for them all. I just see a disaster waiting to happen..

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To clarify, we do have a problem with the cat population. It just seems that right now "pure bred" cats (or even unique looking cats) aren't as much of an issue...yet. Which is probably why I can't find such rescues. I think the cat problem could be nipped in the bud here if someone would open up a low cost spay/neuter clinic, which the SPCA was asking for funding for but it hasn't happened yet. I assume it will when its too late.

I'm not saying I agree with what he is doing. I think he should get Leo neutered now and be done with it, but he really wants to do it and likely will whether or not I voice my opinion. Since he is so set on doing this, I will take one of the kittens, have it spayed/neutered and just have my "cool cat". Any incoming disasters are his problem to deal with. He may very well get tired of the spraying and fix the cat sooner, which is also fine with me.

Personally, if I get one, I just want to make sure I understand the breed completely first, so I know what I am getting into, even if its not a pure bred, I want to be aware of any potential issues that may arise.

burningwheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are not going to be registered, of course. I know this guy very well, he loves his cats and takes great care of them. He just wants to breed them once to see what patterns he gets. He is not out to make a bunch of money or anything.

just to see what patterns he gets? sound very selfish and self fulfilling. I can't because people, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A part- bengal or half-bengal is not considered a bengal. It's considered a domestic short hair just like any other mixed breed cat out there. I would definately not support the breeding of these as it will add to the pet overpopulation as it is. Plus reputible breeders test thier cats for all sorts of health and genetic issues and know what thier lines carry. You cant keep track of the genetic problems of mix breeds.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengalbabe, the cat in yor avatar pic is stunningly beautiful! I love bengals.

Also, to LuvMyParker, did you ever get your Bengal? Or, did your friend/family member (I am sorry, I do not remember which) ever have a litter of Bengals for you to get a kitten from? Yes, I know, that was quite some time ago

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. He ended up moving to another province. I'm not even sure he still has his cat anymore!