Bengal Cat Won’t Come Home

linnypin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone
Ok so we have a few animals, 1 Chihuahua 4 years old spayed, 1 Sheltie 18 months old,
1 cross Bengal, 1 pure Bengal who all lived happily together, then we were offered another Sheltie pup, for 2 months everything was fine, then my pure Bengal started staying out, then more and more until finally she didn’t come home. I put up posters and a neighbour in the area said she had been feeding her because she felt sorry for her because a Bengals cry is a little vocal, anyway I went around to see this lady and she said she couldn’t keep feeding her and didn’t want another cat, I said I wanted her to come home, the problem is now the cat is too scared of anybody and when my husband went to get her she bit and clawed him, yet a few weeks ago she was lying on his lap indoors with all the other dogs and cat. I’ve been in touch with the vet and I’m awaiting a cat trap to see if I can trap her and take her home, sedate her for a while until I can build her trust up again, she is spayed, microchipped and inoculated at the moment but I think I really need to get her back and try again with her, what you you think, she’s really loved by us.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't really know the bengal breed, but think they need a lot of attention, don't they. And lots of exercise? When she was there with you, was she getting that when the puppy can into your lives? I'm guessing she got all the exercise she needed if you let her outside.

My guess is that if you trap her and bring her home to "try again", she will either stay, or she may run away again. There is really no way of knowing what will happen IF you allow her access to the out of doors. If she isn't happy there, she may try to leave again. But my real question is...if that lady isn't still feeding her, will she even still be around by the time you get that trap? Did you or your husband leave some of her food with her so she'd keep feeding her for a little while longer to ensure she'd stick around?

I wish I could tell you bringing her home would all work out, but cats are fickle creatures as I'm sure you know. Hopefully once she's home safe and sound, she will realize what she's missed and stick around

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linnypin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi yes we left plenty of food with the neighbour and I did see my cat as she turned up there, but she wouldn’t come to us. If I could get her I’m sure keeping her in for a while would work. I left plenty of food there for the neighbour to feed her. I’m just worried that the trap will send her crazy, but I want her back to balance the house.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my indoor cats got out of the house once (years ago) and she was gone for a couple of months. When we finally found her, she was terrified, wouldn't come to us, etc. I think cats when they are out of their normal surroundings probably get very skittish and that may be why your girl won't come to you and even why she bit your hubby :frown:.

WHO is this cat most bonded with? Whoever that person is might have a better chance wooing her back by possibly just sitting quietly wherever she is now and gently talking to her and petting her, etc. and and not grabbing her but see if she'll follow them home :dunno::sigh:. I just don't know the best course of action, but, of course you want her back :alright:

linnypin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi well she followed me home thank goodness tempted with tuna. She’s been in and out today and thankfully has come back to us. I went away for a week and I think it threw her. She comes to me more than my husband, but yes we love her so do the grandchildren and I’m soo happy it’s all sorted, I did phone the lady and asked her not to feed Tikka and I think we will forge a friendship now, thanks for reading this

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay! I'm so happy she's back with you! Good job!!!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YAY! I love happy endings! When I started this thread, my heart sank a bit, but in only SIX POSTS, I'm back on cloud nine!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and she are so lucky such a nice lady found her.

Maybe you can get a cat exercise wheel to amuse her inside. I've heard them recommended for roving Bengals. Your dogs might well like it too. Here's the picture of one from amazon

linnypin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I’ll try it out, she’s asleep on the sofa tonight I’m soo happy.