Bengal Cat Question?

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband has always expressed interest in Bengal cats. I have researched them & would like any owner inputs on whether they tend to have litter box issues (inappropriate spray marking, etc) more than other cats? I know that chances are low in altered female cats in general. We would want a spayed female & most likely only have one. We currently have no pets & we love cats.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Early generation Bengals do have more of a propensity to spray than other cats (due to their wild heritage). If you get a cat farther removed from an Asian Leopard Cat (generation F5, or higher, is what is required in the CFA, as this is when they really start to settle in to a domestic cat temperament), there should be a much lower chance of spraying. Just be sure to get a cat from a breeder who will provide you with a pedigree, so that you can be sure that you are getting the F5. F1-F3 Bengals are hard to place, so a less reputable breeder might try to give a pet buyer one of these cats, even though they say it's a later generation, which is why you should ask for the pedigree. Even an F5 Bengal is highly active, sociable, intelligent, (and a little demanding...), so be sure that you are willing to spend that amount of time with your new furbaby. Bengals are not the kind of cat who will lounge around all day, so if you're looking for an interactive cat, then you'll probably :hearthrob: love :hearthrob: having a Bengal (or another similarly active breed).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would second making sure you know which generation Bengal you are getting. You would also have to be willing to make changes to your home to catify it properly to prevent misbehaving by a Bengal (most cats really, but a Bengal especially needs to have scent soaking items and high access). This would include adding a decent sized cat tree (at least 5 feet tall) to at least one room of your home but preferably two. Either installing cat shelves on walls or ensuring the existing shelves would be able to be walked on without worrying about things being knocked off. A cat wheel would also be a great investment with a Bengal so that it can really run and get that energy out. Bengals are incredibly high energy so you would need to dedicate time to play each day and have a variety of toys to excite your cat. With a Bengal you can expect to spend at least 15 minutes two or three times a day in a high energy play where you run the cat until it is panting to prevent mischief from boredom.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Bengal and he is the best and the worst. That's the best way to describe him. He's extremely demanding and has claimed me as his forever human (and no one else). Needs almost constant interaction and follows me everywhere. It can be exhausting. I love him dearly and will never adopt another Bengal again.
I hope that helps a little.