Bengal And Manx?

Travisl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I'm planning on picking up one or two of these kittens because I think they are very pretty and my wife and daughter have been wanting a cat. Plus they are only asking $50 for them. The owner states that the Bengal litter is purebred out of a tica registered male and an unregistered female. The Manx are out of the same registered male but the mother is a snowshoe manx. I don't know much about kittens so I was just curious if you all thought these were actually bengals.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Seem like snow Bengals, except that one with the darker swirls I'm not sure about, I believe usually snow Bengals have less contrast. It also seems like there's one silver ticked kitten? That's not a Bengal pattern, only spotted and marbled are permitted.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would highly recommend getting a kitten from a shelter instead. You can spend time with them, and get to know their personalities, plus they should be vetted/fixed already. You will also be saving lives. This doesn't sound like a responsible private breeder.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would highly recommend getting a kitten from a shelter instead. You can spend time with them, and get to know their personalities, plus they should be vetted/fixed already. You will also be saving lives. This doesn't sound like a responsible private breeder.
I agree with talkingpeanut. A responsible breeder wouldn't mate a registered cat with an unregistered cat (or mate unregistered cats in the first place!), and wouldn't breed cats of different breeds that aren't allowable outcrosses per the registry's standard. Kittens from the shelter will be around $100 adoption fee, but this includes vaccinations, spay/neuter, and usually microchip.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, probably father is indeed registered and a Bengal, but mother is not as pure or you wouldn't be seeing a ticked kitten there.
There is a beautiful silver marble too, so at least one of the parents is a silver. They are all very beautiful cats and, for the price, I do understand the temptation of buying one.
As you are not asking for moral advice, I will directly answer your question: yes, at least one of the parents is a purebreed bengal or those kitties would not be showing rosettes like those at this age. The ticked baby has me puzzled, maybe mother is not purebreed or maybe there was an ooops momment and some other stud mated with her, being this kitten only half brother of the others. The rosetted and the marbled look like good pet quality bengals.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with talkingpeanut. A responsible breeder wouldn't mate a registered cat with an unregistered cat...
...unless the breeder was waiting for a cross to turn out, knew the second cat was registerable, and didn't want to "tip off" the Registry for some reason - planning on registering the second cat if the mating turned out as he or she had hoped. Not to point any fingers at anyone. Especially Sphinx breeders. In France.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...unless the breeder was waiting for a cross to turn out, knew the second cat was registerable, and didn't want to "tip off" the Registry for some reason - planning on registering the second cat if the mating turned out as he or she had hoped. Not to point any fingers at anyone. Especially Sphinx breeders. In France.
:flail::flail::flail:
Yes, I would say a typical backyard breeder would be selling these kitten for at least 200$ because they look purebreed. So it is obvious that he is not trying to make money here, but to cover the cost of pregnacy and first weeks of age of the kittens.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that's oddly specific, lol. You do make a point, though. I don't think that's the case with this breeder though, since they also cross Manx x Bengal....

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would understand trying a Bengal x Maine Coon (a short hair), though, as bad as It sounds, for pet only purposes... Having a Bengal of the size of a MC/a MC with the pattern of a bengal would be amazing at so many levels.
Edit
Now that I think about it, maybe the ticked kitten is from the Manx mother, not the bengal one. That would make more sense, wouldn't It?

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a Bengal of the size of a MC/a MC with the pattern of a bengal would be amazing at so many levels.
Especially an F¹ cross. He'd be the most confused cat in the world. Every time he saw something that wasn't moving, he wouldn't know whether to eat it or scent mark it.

;)