Bendy straws for teething

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many of y'all have done this? I read about this somewhere on this forum, maybe the socializing Lucky thread over in the feral cats board?

The kittens have been chewing the blind slats and have actually torn pieces off, which means I'll have to replace the blinds when I move out of this apartment,
I bought some bendy straws at the grocery store and they are a HUUUUUUUGE hit! They haven't stopped playing with them and chewing on them for more than forty minutes. Hopefully this will stop the destruction of my blinds!!!

Anyone else tried it? Does it work for teething, or are my hopes too high?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a bag of the cheapo ones at the store and let Tumbles go to town with them. The only problem we have now with them is that he likes to climb in the dishwasher and retrieve MY straws from the utensil bin. (I wash and reuse my straws.)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls will be 4 in Dec, and from the beginning, Dusty loved the bendy straws. She has been known to take the straw from my drink!
Even now she will play with them. I get mine at the 99 cent store.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Bijou and Mika were teething I had plastic straws all over my house. When one got too chewed up, I'd toss it and put down some new ones. They worked great.

quarkthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found that bendy straws are the most cost effective toy for any active cat.

Get a pack of different colored ones and the cats will treat each one as a "new" toy once they've bent/chewed up/gotten bored with the old ones.

You can even fit the straws together to make different shapes. One of my cats lives to drag the long 4 and 5 straw length "toys all around the house!