Benadryl And Cats

Bubzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read around the internet about using Benedryl on cats or dogs for various reasons (allergies or to calm them down). I don't know anything about medicating animals. What is everyone's experience or opinions about this?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm told Benedryl isn't very effective in cats. They respond better to cetirizine (Zyrtec). But you really should clear that with a vet first, to make sure it's really allergies and to confirm dosage. Benedryl also doesn't have a sedating effect on cats---sometimes it even makes them hyper.

Dogs seem to respond to Benedryl like most humans.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Benadryl tastes horrible to cats. Sometimes they'll froth and foam at the mouth. I had mine compounded into a chicken flavor for my boy that has allergies to grass. It's mildly affective but I take measures to reduce his exposure as well like changing outside after yard work.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're really interested in trying to get them calm you can try Bach's Rescue Remedy Pet and drop it on a nice piece of freeze dried chicken. I was always told to keep liquid benadryl on hand in Phoenix in case of scorpion stings.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave benedryl once on my vets orders. It was like giving the cat acid. Foamed at the mouth, ran around the house screaming and it didn't even work. Works wonders on dogs though.

If you decide to go ahead and try it, make sure it's childrens benedryl and not the full strength for adults.