Bells And Safety?

Anniecat_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everypawdy! My cat Annie has been going outside and recently she's been killing various birds, chipmunks and squirrels, so we decided to put a breakaway collar with a bell on her. We live in the suburbs of New England, and we have about half an acre of conservation land behind our house where she usually goes. Sometimes she stays out all night, but usually she comes back in. We have heard coyotes in the conservation land maybe once a month, and nearby about once a week. Having a bell on her could collar attract attention from unwanted predators and make it harder for her to hide, is it safe for her revealing her location in the event of her facing coyotes? I know that trees are an option for climbing, but I'm not sure of her ability to get back down, and the conservation land is dense and not good for finding a little cat in a tree. Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Coyotes are a big danger to cats, whether cats have a bell on their collar or not. It would be safest to only take her outside with a leash and harness, or build her a catio.