Bellatrix's First Time Outside!!!

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my friend helped me decide (semi-spur of the moment) to go get a little harness and leash for Bellatrix to go outside! 

Once the harness was on, which wasn't too difficult to attach to her, I kept petting her and speaking in a soothing voice and giving her treats so she would associate it with good things. When she was left alone she would roll around on the ground and try to get it off, but when I picked her up she was calm and purring like mad! I took her outside and she of course was a little skittish, but she was mostly just very alert. She needed me to pick her up and bring her from place to place in our backyard, but she would walk and explore her immediate surroundings when she was on the ground. Once she came back inside, she was so happy and confident! I couldn't be happier, and it couldn't have gone any better!

She's been having issues lately. She pees where she's not supposed to, and I've finally attributed it to loneliness. My ex and I broke up a few months ago, so there's that, and I'm so busy I'm really not home as often as I used to be. So I've determined that she needs a little baby brother! Until then, though, I need to try and give her as much love an attention as I possibly can (which I do anyway) but I decided to add this new adventure to our routine! I've attached some pictures!

The way the sunlight was, it was a PERFECT little impromptu photo shoot :D

And here is one when we were still inside, looking like a sarcastic chubb <3

That face makes me giggle.

Anyway, my next goal is to bring her in my car and take her different places! Does anyone have any experience with this?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats travels with me. He really enjoys car rides.

My suggestions on this are:
Always keep kitty confined to a carrier when in the car. (I secure mine with the seatbelt.)

Start out with short car rides. How does she do when you take her to the vet?

I always transport Max in his carrier into stores and place the carrier in the shopping cart. He wears his harness/leash at all times. If the store isn't very busy, I'll unzip the top part of his carrier and let him look around.

I prefer to keep him off the floor of pet stores just to ensure he doesn't pick up any virus, etc from another animal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@CatPack  I've had people tell me they don't bother with a cat carrier if they have the harness and leash on them. Some just let them roam around in the car, or tie the leash to something to secure them. I'll think about both options!

When I've taken her to the vet, all two times, she was ok. The first time, it was to get fixed, and she actually fell asleep in the carrier on the way over there! The second time was for a visit/checkup/whatever, and she mewed a bit here and there, but she didn't seem too upset. 

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't let a cat wander in the car, and depending on where you live it might even be illegal. It's one of those things where it can go okay a thousand times, but itonly needs to go wrong once to become a very preventable tragedy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't let a cat wander in the car, and depending on where you live it might even be illegal. It's one of those things where it can go okay a thousand times, but itonly needs to go wrong once to become a very preventable tragedy.
Yes; they are safer in a carrier in case of an accident.  I also know of an incident where a woman wrecked her truck because her 2 cats got in a fight while she was driving.  It's not a risk I'd want to take

My back seat is full with car seats; so Mooch sits in her carrier in the front seat; belted in.  I can talk to her and see her then.  When I have to take both cats; one has to go in the "cargo" area.  i drive an Outback; so it's air conditioned back there and I can secure the carrier too.