being spayed

smithfamily2012

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

The kittens we adopted are coming home either later today or tomorrow morning from the humane society ( all adoptions from animal shelter are done throughv them) they seen the vet and had all vaccines, flea meds, dewormer and microchipping this morning and are being spayed today. They will be coming to a new home within hours of being spayed...any advice?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They should be fine.  Keep their E-collars on at least for a few days or if you remove them, then only under supervision and provided they don't lick the incision.  Some vets suggest shredded paper or compressed paper litter for a week+ to prevent litter from sticking to incision site.  Meh.

Try to avoid them jumping and climbing on things, stairs etc.

If the incision becomes sore, red, oozes or separates they will need to go back to the vet, but this is unlikely.  Happy Kitten day! Take lots of pics. Congrats!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will most likely be groggy, so just keep them isolated in a bathroom or spare bedroom for awhile.  Most likely, they won't need cones (none of mine have ever come home with a cone) as they are fairly self-limiting when it comes to pain and movement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smithfamily2012

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we adopted we were told by animal control they were both girls, but when I called yesterday evening to see how they did and see if we could pick them up we found out they are both boys. So is neutering typically easier on them?

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Smithfamily2012:

Welcome to the forum.

My two boys were neutered yesterday.  I had them into the vet before 8:30 in the morning.  I called at 1:00 PM to see how they were doing.  They were doing fine.  I picked them up at 4:30.

When we got home, they romped and played a bit.  One threw up a little that he had eaten--still some lingering anesthesia, so I limited what else they ate or did.

This morning they have eaten a full meal with no after effects, and are currently napping.  I did bring home some follow up pain meds in pill form for them, just in case,  But so far have shown no signs of discomfort.

They are 6 months old.

Best of luck with your kitties.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neutering is definitely easier as it just requires a little slit and isn't nearly as invasive as a spay.  It's also a quicker recovery time.