Being helpful or territorial or bossy fusspot?

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Josie, my alpha cat, will often take care of the litter box after her sister, Dory uses it.  Usually it's after Dory has a BM.  Dory does her business and does a little bit of covering and scratching of the high sides of the box.   Almost immediately after Dory takes off, Josie investigates, sniffs, jumps in the box, and does plenty of covering and scratch. Basically she does all things she would do if she had just used the box--except she didn't.  What's going on here?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Josie, my alpha cat, will often take care of the litter box after her sister, Dory uses it.  Usually it's after Dory has a BM.  Dory does her business and does a little bit of covering and scratching of the high sides of the box.   Almost immediately after Dory takes off, Josie investigates, sniffs, jumps in the box, and does plenty of covering and scratch. Basically she does all things she would do if she had just used the box--except she didn't.  What's going on here?
All of my cats will occasionally do this with each other's business if someone has left pee or poop uncovered. I think this is part territorial, and showing ownership of the box. No harm so long as Josie's cleanup routine doesn't prevent Dory from returning to the box.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
or she just likes everything nice and clean? My Grisou
does that. He's an omega cat 
, no bossing. He's also a terrific clean freak - once he had to throw up (because he gobbled food down too fast) he made sure to do it on the kitchen tiles and not on the carpet.

When my Rogue 
 (the messy type) got soft stool after eating too much heart 
, he wiped his butt on my carpet and Grisou rushed to the spot and tried to bury it...