Being extorted for cat food

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I live in a loft apartment home. My 3 year old Tabby has become gluttonous with a tenacity towards extreme harassment if she doesn't get more food. Originally I fed her twice a day which ended up being 4am and 4pm. A few weeks ago she began waking me up at 2am. OK cool! Now I'll be able to get into a deeper sleep and stay in that state until my alarms awakens me. Or so I thought. No! No! She has the audacity to wake me again at 4:30. Sometimes, too many times I relented and gave her food. she realizes I just want to get back to sleep and I won't "fight her". So now I have to put her in the bathroom or over-sized walk-in (ventilated) closet. Now at 2 am when I refused to give food she started staring at me and continuously jumping or me as I laid. It was scary. Obviously she then ended up in bathroom. Any one have these issues? Help, please.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
That, plus big wet food meal at bedtime should also help.
And I wouldn’t give her food when she wakes you up at 2am, don’t give in and learn to ignore it, she does it because it works
Yep..my boy was doing the same thing..its rough til u stop it..Knock on wood my boy is getting better at NOT doing it NOW

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Others have mentioned to feed a larger meal at night. This has worked with my Isabelle. She gets a little bit of dry food to help maintain her weight, and now she gets the majority of it right before I go to bed because she used to wake me up for food. She may still come to see me 30 min. or so before I get out of bed since I feed everyone once I get up, but not earlier than that.

Good luck!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine only eat homemade wet meals and I do 4 meals a day. I would recommend doing at least 3. I give the largest meals in the morning and right before bed. I have also trained my cats to know that I don’t move out of bed until my alarm goes off. They all sit on the bed and stare at me until my alarm goes off, but they don’t whine or bug me until it does because they associate the alarm with me getting up. You might try setting an alarm and not responding to demands to get up until right after it goes off.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine only eat homemade wet meals and I do 4 meals a day. I would recommend doing at least 3. I give the largest meals in the morning and right before bed. I have also trained my cats to know that I don’t move out of bed until my alarm goes off. They all sit on the bed and stare at me until my alarm goes off, but they don’t whine or bug me until it does because they associate the alarm with me getting up. You might try setting an alarm and not responding to demands to get up until right after it goes off.
Thank you. I'm going to try this. She's resisting training but I'll keep at it.

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I live in a loft apartment home. My 3 year old Tabby has become gluttonous with a tenacity towards extreme harassment if she doesn't get more food. Originally I fed her twice a day which ended up being 4am and 4pm. A few weeks ago she began waking me up at 2am. OK cool! Now I'll be able to get into a deeper sleep and stay in that state until my alarms awakens me. Or so I thought. No! No! She has the audacity to wake me again at 4:30. Sometimes, too many times I relented and gave her food. she realizes I just want to get back to sleep and I won't "fight her". So now I have to put her in the bathroom or over-sized walk-in (ventilated) closet. Now at 2 am when I refused to give food she started staring at me and continuously jumping or me as I laid. It was scary. Obviously she then ended up in bathroom. Any one have these issues? Help, please.
i hope your hungry baby isn't sick
my cat has had stretches where she just wants to pig out too, she will also put herself on random cat fasts too only drinking purified water. water is where my cat makes a stand she can smell the difference between tap n purified so she will get purified or she knocks over the water dispenser.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Know how many calories your cat should be getting and how many she actually is. That way you don't have any worry that she isn't getting enough to eat. Divide it by three or four, however many meals works for her and for you. I had to get an automatic feeder because Ailish couldn't go from bed time to morning feed time without barfing up bile just before I got up and fed her. I gave her an automatic feeding at 2:30a, which solved that problem. Once you have spaced meals and you know she actually is getting enough to eat. No.food.on.demand. None ever. Never. Don't respond to harassment at all. It took two weeks for Ailish to be completely cured of all bratty food behavior. This is easier if you know what she is getting, because then she can't guilt you with that cat sob story about not having been fed in at least a week.