Behaviour Changes In Cat After Loss Of Another Cat

barakait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently lost my sweet lynx-point siamese (3.5 yrs) very suddenly and unexpectedly to Saddle Thrombus. This was about a month ago now, and my other cat, a tortoiseshell (15 yrs) has had some drastic behaviour changes since then.

I know that cats grieve too; I’ve seen that happen. But I’m not sure if that’s what this is or not? My tortie is older and was never really... close with my younger cat. She tolerated him, but even though he was super social and always tried to engage with her she never really wanted any part of it for the entire time that I had him.

Ever since he passed away though, she has become super social, not just with me but with other guests that come to my house (which was NEVER the case with her). She is more playful, more vocal, more affectionate, just all around wanting more attention.

Most of the time I’ve had her she’s been with at least one other cat. I had a tabby already when I got the tortie, and they were super close, always. When the tabby passed away a few years ago, my tortie mourned her and was a little more withdrawn for a while. She was an only cat for a year or so before I got the lynx-point siamese. So she has been with me through the loss of another cat, and her behaviour didn’t change like this the last time.

Just looking for feedback on if this is normal or if there could be another reason for the change in behaviour.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your sudden loss! We just lost our tabby Trin last December, and we have two other cats. Our older cat Gohan had lived with Trin for his whole life, since he was adopted at 5 weeks old. Trin groomed him sometimes and they were very comfortable with each other. After he died, Gohan definitely mourned and was very sad. He had never been a lap cat, and was never very cuddly except with my boyfriend (who raised him). After Trin was gone, he started cuddling in laps, sleeping on the bed and other things that changed him into a more cuddly cat. Six months later and he continues to cuddle more and sleep in laps.

Our current theory is that in his grief he sought comfort and then realized how nice and safe he felt in he lap so he started doing it more often.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Have you had your baby in to a vet, just to be sure all is well?

It could be that now she's truly enjoying being an only cat, or is going through emotions such as karenkat is describing.

Just in case this article helps, and it mentions the change in behavior too;

Do Cats Mourn?