Behaviour Change After Vet Admission

Baba-Bleu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Bleu has recently returned home (48hrs age) from a traumatic experience at the vet.
He had +++ Struvyte crystals in his urine which caused a urethral plug and he was u able to pass urine. (Still eating and drinking, well in himself)

We took him to the emergency vet and they admitted him.
- sedated and catheter inserted for 2 days
- IV antibiotics and fluids until discharge
(Which the monkey pulled out and ended up having to get his other leg shaved for a new line to be inserted!)

During this admission, the vet said he was extremely stressed and nervous.
He refused to eat, pass urine (hence they recatheterised and kept in) and his at the back of his kennel and wouldn’t look at anyone (my heart breaks writing this)

Yesterday when we got him home, he ate his new food within 10 minutes of limping out his cat carrier.
He then passed urine urethrally with no problems and did a small poo later that night.
He was very affectionate with me and my fiancé. Clearly happy to be back home with us.

Today however, he has been completely withdrawn. Hiding under the bed, sleeping. Will not touch his food. Drinking water and passing urine but now having loose poo.

I know it’s highly due to the dietary change that he has GI upsets but my poor wee baby is so depressed. He still purrs when we cuddle/kiss him and rubs himself on us but I feel like he’s a shadow of himself.

I contacted the vet who wasn’t concerned.

Could this be just dietary GI upset?
Could he just be shattered after all the stress?
He’s also on Cat NSAIDS for bladder irritation and vet told us to continue giving this once a day despite the loose poo.

Just want my old boy back. Could just burst out crying!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... .poor baby. :redheartpump:

The diarrhea is probably due to a combination of all he's been through.

How's he doing now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baba-Bleu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah. Hard to pin point with so many changes at once.

He’s actually much brighter today. Was waiting for me when I came gone from nightshift and ran to kitchen meowing for his food!
He’s at all his food today, pee’d and mooched my food so I think I’m slowly getting my boy back! :cheerleader:

He’s snuggled up with me today when I was sleeping so I think he’s slowly forgiving us! :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was about to write to just give it a couple of days, and not to worry too much, but it seems like I don't have to. Good to hear he's bouncing back.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love, patience, playtime, a new extra extra soft cuddly blanket, some healthy treats.