Behavioral Problem and Misguided Anger

jennifer54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fellow cat parents,

I write this in the hopes that I am not alone and for some reassurance that harmony can be restored in my house. I have had my orange tabby (Hal) for over 7 years now. I found him freezing one night during a polar vortex and the rest is history. We’ve been inseparable since.
He has always had an interesting personality. He is very clingy towards me, but is easily angered when he doesn’t get his way. But we have always coexisted comfortably and happily. He is exclusively an indoor cat but occasionally I’d put him on a harness and let him sniff a few minutes on my porch. Nine days ago the weather was nice so I put his harness on and we walked out on my porch. Well, there are a lot of stray cats and I know they pee around my house. Hal started sniffing intensely. I could tell he was getting agitated and I panicked. I grabbed him with my bare hands (not smart I know) and he freaked out (bites, scratches, and letting out this bone chilling screeching noise). I managed to get him back inside and he was terrified the rest of the day of me. The vet instructed me to isolate him in a room for 24 hours and said it was misguided aggression. That seemed to do the trick and for 5 days after we got back to normal. Then A few days ago, he knocked over a huge tub of treats. I went to grab the treats and I could hear his growl. I became terrified just because of the incident of the week before being fresh in my mind and in my efforts to back away from him, knocked over dishes and he started the screaming at me again. He does not come at me (thank goodness) but coils back in fear and does that awful scream. I isolated him in my spare room and it took him over a day again to calm down. A huge reason it took longer for him to calm down this time is because now, my anxiety is through the roof. When I tried to let him out after a few hours, I jumped when he looked at me and he screamed again. Both of us are in a cycle of fear and I am heartbroken. We have had peace since yesterday morning, but my nerves are shot. I just want harmony in my home again. It’s a horrible feeling when your routine gets shaken up. I want to feel comfortable and not scared that the next time he gets scared, he takes it out on me. He is going to the vet tomorrow to rule out underlying illness and then we will hopefully discuss a treatment plan for his anxiety (and probably my own..lol). Anyways, I would feel so much better knowing I’m not alone and if anyone has had luck with certain medications and/or lifestyle changes.
Thank you :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree - you both are on edge. Getting that apprehension under control - as well as a vet check up to ensure there is no health issue involved - is your best bet.

You can try cat calming products, such as Feliway diffusers or similar (do an internet search on 'cat calming products' for additional options). Another thing to consider is cat music as a calming agent as well - David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat.

Something you both could try would be chamomile tea. Standard grocery store variety tea bags; most are German (you don't want English, or any flavorings/additives). Brew a bag in water, cool some of the liquid and give your cat 1-3 tspns up to 3 times a day - while you drink the rest. The tea has a calming effect on both humans and cats! Of course, you can add whatever you want to the tea left over for you.

Find some other calming activities for yourself - it will be much easier to settle him down if you aren't as anxious. Keeping things calm and quiet around your house as much as possible will most certainly help.

I am sure other members will come along soon with some other ideas for you to try!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really does sound like a case of redirected aggression, and usually it calms down after a bit. Cats can also pick up on their human's stress, which may be what is happening now. TCS has this article all about Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles which may be helpful. As well as one on Re-directed Aggression In Cats | TheCatSite

It's also good that you're getting him checked out at the vet, just to ensure there's nothing else going on with him, and to get their suggestions / advice on things.

Good luck. Hope things get back to normal soon. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennifer54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I agree - you both are on edge. Getting that apprehension under control - as well as a vet check up to ensure there is no health issue involved - is your best bet.

You can try cat calming products, such as Feliway diffusers or similar (do an internet search on 'cat calming products' for additional options). Another thing to consider is cat music as a calming agent as well - David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat.

Something you both could try would be chamomile tea. Standard grocery store variety tea bags; most are German (you don't want English, or any flavorings/additives). Brew a bag in water, cool some of the liquid and give your cat 1-3 tspns up to 3 times a day - while you drink the rest. The tea has a calming effect on both humans and cats! Of course, you can add whatever you want to the tea left over for you.

Find some other calming activities for yourself - it will be much easier to settle him down if you aren't as anxious. Keeping things calm and quiet around your house as much as possible will most certainly help.

I am sure other members will come along soon with some other ideas for you to try!
Thank you so much!

jennifer54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really does sound like a case of redirected aggression, and usually it calms down after a bit. Cats can also pick up on their human's stress, which may be what is happening now. TCS has this article all about Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles which may be helpful. As well as one on Re-directed Aggression In Cats | TheCatSite

It's also good that you're getting him checked out at the vet, just to ensure there's nothing else going on with him, and to get their suggestions / advice on things.

Good luck. Hope things get back to normal soon. :heartshape:
Thank you so much, I will definitely give those a read :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably don't take him outside on a leash anymore. My cat used to love being an indoor/outdoor cat. Then when I converted him to indoor only, and tried taking him out on a leash every little thing scared him. And after this calms down, going forward if something happens that seems like it might trigger him, just try to give him some space. You can't do anything for a badly stessed cat until they calm down and trying only causes redirected aggression.

jennifer54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably don't take him outside on a leash anymore. My cat used to love being an indoor/outdoor cat. Then when I converted him to indoor only, and tried taking him out on a leash every little thing scared him. And after this calms down, going forward if something happens that seems like it might trigger him, just try to give him some space. You can't do anything for a badly stessed cat until they calm down and trying only causes redirected aggression.
Definitely no more leash! I’ve been slowly reintroducing him to the rest of the house over the past day and it’s gone well so far. Luckily I have extra rooms and he can be in a nice quiet space to decompress.