Behavioral Improper Elimination Or Is Something Truly Wrong?

Twofakind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I need some help.
I have three kitties and my older, a plump 6 yr old, has been showing extremely weird behavior at night after we go to bed. Before this night, all 3 are best pals, share a massive litter box that gets cleaned daily at minimum.

After Thanksgiving, she sporadically missed her litter box every one or two days and hit my rug in the dining room. Over this past weekend, it turned recurrent and nightly. I took her to the vet Monday who thinks due to a recent food change (to Blue Buffalo Sens. Stomach) she might not be feeling to great and to slowly switch her back to her old one. She also recommended setting up a box where she had been going to steer her back to box behavior.

Night 1: box was hit for both toilet activities
Night 2: she peed in the box but eliminated herself on the other side of the table :(

I'm beyond frustrated and while I love this girl to death, I don't know what to do. The vet gave her a good checkup but I'm not sure a stool sample was done or if this could be UTI related? Would appreciate feedback if you have been in this situation and how you got yourself out of it, it's breaking my heart and destroying my house.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try confining the cat to a smaller area of the house with her own litter box. Also the food change to what she was used to might help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The ideal is one litter box for each cat, plus one, so you're actually about three boxes shy. She may have developed an issue with the box itself, or with the litter. And since she did pee in the box, I'm thinking probably not UTI, but tummy-related, and it could well be the change in food.