Behavior Question For My Next Door Neighbor.

okeyd57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbor has 2 cats she's kept inside for around 5 years. Three days ago, one of her cats bolted outside as she opened her front door. She has looked for it night and day ever since, but it appears to be gone for good.

This is a cat that had never been out of the house for a minute, much less 3 days. Her two cats got along great, as far as I know. This lady spoils her animals to death. She even bought electric pads for feral cats outside. In other words, I don't believe abuse could possibly be a reason for the apparent escape.

I just wondered if anyone here has had an experience similar to this, or any opinions on what the reason could be ? I've heard for years that sometimes animals go off to themselves to die when they feel it's coming, but I can't see how that could be validated.

Thanks for your help. Okey R

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My aunt's indoor cat bolted when someone was catsitting for her, and it turned up a few days later, so don't give up hope just yet! I heard somewhere that leaving some of its poop out can help attract it, but I'm not sure if that works. Hopefully others will have some tips soon!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi did this to me once. He escaped and was playing in the woods with the next door neighbors' cat for 2 days. He was just having too much fun to come home. :headshake:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard about putting blankets, etc items outside that have the cat's or owner's smell on them. Going outside in the evenings with treats and familiar items and calling the cat has also worked.

If this cat is not used to being outside, it could be cowering nearby, and hiding, and afraid to come out. It could also be a tad bit away from the general area and too afraid to find it's own way back.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the call of the wild is strong in some cats ... smells, air, bugs and such are very stimulating. Our boy Trin bolts outside given the chance, although he bolts right back in moments later.

Hope he’s found soon, but there are lots of stories of cats coming back or being found after weeks or months even.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had indoors only cats that haven't experienced the Great Outdoors bolt and come up missing.
In all cases, every single one, the cat is hanging around nearer than you'd think.
They rush outside, realize they're unprotected, and stay near the house but hide.
Two of our cats that pulled this little stunt were found within a few feet of a door.
If your neighbor has things like garbage cans or anything that might impede their view, check them often. One of our cats was found right beside the door between two recycling bins, and the other was found between our patio and some weeds.

If you or your neighbor finds the cat, don't make a crazy grab for them. For whatever reason, cats that are used to being inside that find themselves outside spook and are experts at escaping strong-holds. Speak to them in a normal tone, make them relax a little, then say something familiar to them. In our cats case, it was "you crazy cat. What are you doing? Don't you want to hang out on the couch"? and we moved towards them slow and nonchalant (don't hover, don't dart in, don't stare at them and get all tense if you can helo it), scooped them up gently (no man-grip, don't freak them out) and brought them inside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, check with all the neighbors and put out signs - with pics, if possible - in the general area. There are lost and found pet sites on the internet to post to as well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that made Demi come back was a plate of his favorite kibble, so maybe try that. He pretended he didn't even know me until he saw his kibble. :headshake:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeyd57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only thing that made Demi come back was a plate of his favorite kibble, so maybe try that. He pretended he didn't even know me until he saw his kibble. :headshake:

I have an update. Three days after the cat left I saw it on my back deck. I let her know, but this cat now acts like it's never been around a person at all. You can't get within 19 feet of him. That's weird.

So, she can't get it to come back in, but she's keeping him fed. I told her he's having a mid-life crisis. Thanks for all the replies.Most of you were right. He wasn't far away at all.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told her he's having a mid-life crisis.
That's probably the best guess! I've heard of this happening and nobody knows why. Cats are weird.

He might decide to come inside when it gets cold. She could try sitting out there with treats to try to "make friends" again. Maybe some fried chicken?

I know someone whose housecat bolted and didn't come back for 3 whole weeks. But he came back skinny, dehydrated, and with a gash on his neck, so she thinks he got his collar caught somewhere and couldn't meow for help. So that's probably a whole different situation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, feeding him and giving him treats, as well as being nice to him but not trying to 'catch' him, will do the trick - and he will figure out that going back with her isn't such a bad idea after all!!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, she sounds like a very caring person. So glad he’s home safe.