Behavior issues & neutering

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I thought my male cat was getting over the whole over biting and using his claws thing (even tried saying no and left the room played with him to get his mind off going after me and it seemed to work for a little bit) but in the last 2 weeks it has steadily gotten worse. yesterday he got a hold of my husbands hand and bit into  it quite hard, hard enough to draw blood we were both shocked as he has never bitten hard enough to really draw blood. and later in the day he attacked my legs and I got deep starch marks that produced a fair amount of blood.

So I guess my question is will neutering him lessen this issue or make it go away completely? I don't normally talk about neutering or spaying as I have had bad experiences in the past doing this with my own animals and have heard horror stories from friends about what their animal was like before and after. Any in sight or info would help greatly as my husband still wants him intact while I figure if his balls go his brain will come back. I'm not asking this question lightly as I prefer my animals natural but I do know in some cases neutering is the best option.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he?

There aren't really any drawbacks to neutering a cat. Intact cats can be intensely difficult to live with. With dogs there are more considerations but it's pretty much all positive with cats. (If you mean bad things have happened during surgery, ask around about which vets are best in your area, ask about their complication rate, etc. A surgeon's skill makes all the difference)

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

So I thought my male cat was getting over the whole over biting and using his claws thing (even tried saying no and left the room played with him to get his mind off going after me and it seemed to work for a little bit) but in the last 2 weeks it has steadily gotten worse. yesterday he got a hold of my husbands hand and bit into  it quite hard, hard enough to draw blood we were both shocked as he has never bitten hard enough to really draw blood. and later in the day he attacked my legs and I got deep starch marks that produced a fair amount of blood.

So I guess my question is will neutering him lessen this issue or make it go away completely? I don't normally talk about neutering or spaying as I have had bad experiences in the past doing this with my own animals and have heard horror stories from friends about what their animal was like before and after. Any in sight or info would help greatly as my husband still wants him intact while I figure if his balls go his brain will come back. I'm not asking this question lightly as I prefer my animals natural but I do know in some cases neutering is the best option.
intact animals are meant to live in the wild. if you want a domesticated indoor animal, they must be spayed/neutered. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well I respect you option. I believe it depends on the animal and person as to if the animal stays intact in wild or in the house. to me it's like declawing it's not natural nor is expecting you animal to be vegan ( I still can't believe that people would do that to their meat eating pets) but I am looking in to having my male fixed for behavior issues. and I have had 2 cats fixed both male. both were sweet but became fearful of basically everything and both had a slight infection after that had to be treated as well. I know there are great vets out there I just don't want even worse behavior problems like fearfulness shyness or at worse extreme aggression. anyone have a male cat that was a bit like mine who came out better or at lest no worse?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have several of the shelter cats "fixed" every month - right now we're averaging about four to five a week. We don't see behavioral differences in the females, who are spayed before they go into heat, but there are definite ones in the males. The friendly ones become cuddlier, and the shy/distant ones - we deal with a lot of feral or semi-feral cats and kittens - lose quite a bit of their aloofness/shyness/fearfulness. So actually the opposite of your experience. Castration also stops or prevents marking and fighting with other males.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying is a major operation and can be quite traumatic physically for the female, they take longer to recover. I've had many males neutered (approx. 10) and have never had a problem at all, they bounce right back to normal by the next day. As for personalities or behavioral issues, it's always been for the better too. Aggressiveness disappears, no spraying, and they become calmer and more lovable. I think the reason why I haven't had any issues is I always tried to neuter them BEFORE the bad behaviors started, usually between 6-8 months. My Casper was neutered at 5 months because his mother was going in to be spayed and I wanted them to have the 'down' time together, a feisty kitten is not what she would want to deal with. I totally agree that neutered male cats make MUCH better companions, and I pray that everything will go well with you this time, all the luck!!!

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mind marking believe it or not it's just natural for them and thats how I view it and he is about 5 months now but I am looking into getting him fixed now he was not so bad until recently and I don't really want kittens out of a mouthy clawing male. I have had many wild male cats all mine were lovable dorks they never really sprayed until we moved and they went with us and it was in their boxes when we moved after that issue did not spray again. and I don't think my sheamus would fight with another male mostly he's to fat and to stupid that and when a jingle bell rolls near him jumps about 4ft into the air and runs up the stairs lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 5 months I think he's just being a teenage brat :D. He's not really old enough to be strongly influenced by his hormones, although they're probably starting to increase. Neutering might calm him down a bit but even neutered kittens go through a beastly teenage stage. Some things they just have to outgrow!

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol maybe your right but it does not hurt to get input. I mean last night me and my new husband had a fight over getting the cat fixed. He still wants to maybe have a litter of kitten later on in a year or 2. But still if he's going to be like that I dont want kittens out of him dont get me wrong he is a real looker but if he's going to be a little demon aint no way I want him to touch my little diva angel banshee lol. you know the song devil in disguise by elvis. ya he fits well into it should have called him stitch!